Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Road to Walker Lake- Loop hike in July ?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Road to Walker Lake- Loop hike in July ?
February 21, 2014 10:05AM
I am thinking about doing a loop backpacking trip from Walker Lake, over Mono Pass- Algier Lakes-Gem Lake, back over Donohue Pass. I would come out at Toulumne Meadow, spend a night at the backpackers camp,pick up a few supplies, then go back in at Mono /Parker Pass trailhead and spend a couple days hiking back over Mono Pass to get back to the car at Walker Lake. This would be mid-July. I have a few questions.

How's the road to Walker Lake? Hairy 4 wheel drive, or not too bad?

Would I need two Permits- One for the Walker Lake section and another to come back from the park over Mono Pass? Or could I do it on the one permit from Walker Lake and beyond?

Is there a shuttle from Tuolumne Meadows to the Parker Pass Trailhead in the summer?

I know I can get some of this information elsewhere, but the forum readers always seem to know.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2014 07:45PM by lschaaf.
avatar Re: Road to Walker Lake- Loop hike in July
February 21, 2014 12:09PM
I drove a passenger car to the Walker Lake trail head in October. Road was no problem. Here is a video looking back down to Walker and Mono Lakes.
Re: Road to Walker Lake- Loop hike in July
February 21, 2014 07:49PM
Thanks for the info. My map indicates a four wheel drive road, and I have a four wheel drive truck, but I'm just not that experienced at driving really rough roads.

Love the video!
avatar Re: Road to Walker Lake- Loop hike in July ?
February 23, 2014 05:18PM
lschaaf
Would I need two Permits- One for the Walker Lake section and another to come back from the park over Mono Pass? Or could I do it on the one permit from Walker Lake and beyond?

Is there a shuttle from Tuolumne Meadows to the Parker Pass Trailhead in the summer?

Technically since you are spending a night in the backpackers campground... you need two permits.

Yes there is a shuttle. It runs much less frequently than the hiker shuttle from TM to Olmsted.
Pretty sure it is about every 3 hours... instead of every half hour.

Ok... I just look it up:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tmbus.htm

You can hike back to Mono Pass TH... but I'd just take the bus if you can time it. Hiked up that-a-way
about 4 different ways... and every way is nearly the same... lots and lots and lots of lodgepole pine
dense forest with little to no views... (well... sorta like most of the way to Mono Pass really)
Old Tioga Rd. connects Gaylor/Granite Lakes trail to Mono Pass TH... and although steep in history...
and quite pleasant... again... not many views.

Hope this helps some.

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Road to Walker Lake- Loop hike in July ?
February 24, 2014 06:52AM
Thanks,
I now have the two permits, and have looked up the bus schedule, and not afraid of the road anymore. Thank you both. Assuming I get the time off work, I'm good to go.
Thanks again, L
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login