Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (71% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Ultra-light car keys?>

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Ultra-light car keys?>
May 12, 2014 03:09PM
Do you carry your car keys with you on the trail, or you do hide them at the car? There is no point to carrying extra weight, and car keys certainly fall into that category. I leave all of my keys in the car EXCEPT the car key itself. That goes in my pack.

Or do you really practice ultralight backpacking, and leave the car key artfully hidden somewhere so that you don’t have to tote the extra weight? (And no, please don’t tell me or anyone else WHERE you hide those keys…)

Of course, true ultra-lighters will either take public transportation to the trailhead…or buy a car with keyless entry!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
May 12, 2014 03:38PM
We leave the car unlocked and hide a key inside.
avatar Re: Ultra-light car keys?>
May 12, 2014 04:03PM
Keep a key that will unlock your car clipped into everyone of your packs and leave them there. I was on a multiday trip with Bill-e-g and his whisperer a "few years ago" and discovered I had locked my keys in the Burb after we had gone about 100 yards on day one. I kept this a secret to avoid the wrath of and spent all my awake time in my tent for the entire trip deciding how much damage I was willing to impart on the Burb to get The Goat Whisperer safely on our way home. Turns out the Burb allowed for the slipping on hiking poles that convert into an avalanche probe into the seam between the top of the back door and the body. There is a lock/unlock switch on the side post and with some visual guidence I was able to hit the switch and unlock the beast. We were located at some remote parking lot in SeKi with no way to call AAA. Since then I have followed the above advice.

If you must go ultralight do this and still carry a key:

Old Dude
May 12, 2014 05:03PM
I had an emergency credit card key once that was mostly plastic. It was free with my AAA membership at an office. It was in the shape of a credit card, but with a key inside that sort of popped out. It was reinforced with a piece of metal to reduce the chance of it breaking off inside a keyhole. They had a limited number of key types at the office, but my key was common enough that they kept the blanks in stock. I tried it a few times, and it felt somewhat weird, but it would unlock the door. I had to tweak it a little to get it to turn. They didn't recommend it for starting the engine. It didn't look all that clean either, but the person cutting it didn't "deburr" it like with a brass key. I think doing that would have probably messed up the key. I suppose one could take that and just cut off the plastic.

Here's an example of the type, for a vehicle with separate door/ignition keys:

BMW has a plastic emergency key that can be used to open the door. I sort of question intentionally leaving ignition keys in a car though. I've heard of lots of break ins where the thief looked around for the keys. Some people do leave their keys in the car, and a thief finding them might have the idea to take off with the car without having to hotwire it.
May 12, 2014 06:22PM
I'd question leaving ignition keys in the car as well! Modern cars have RFID keys - if I set the security system and someone tries to open it without an RFID key (e.g.: the valet key) an alarm goes off. If I leave it so a valet can get in, the valet can only drive it a limited distance. You're defeating those security features if you leave an ignition key in the car.
May 12, 2014 07:21PM
For most of my life, I kept a regular key hidden up under the frame. It was filthy to get to, but you could do it. Saved my bacon once, when my keys were stolen in London, and my car was back at JFK.
(Airport security caught me under the car, but I still had my passport so I was OK.)

My latest two cars have the $400+ type of key, so that isn't very practical. The Prius doesn't even allow for the possibility of the existence of a third key, so you can't even order one. I'm curious to hear what else people are doing these days to deal with a lost key.
May 12, 2014 07:14PM
I solved the problem with all that ultralight packing stuff..... llamas. Llama With two llamas I can take well over 100 pounds for an overnight trip and camp like a king.
May 12, 2014 11:07PM
Dave

Llama With two llamas I can take well over 100 pounds for an overnight trip and camp like a king.

Well not if the llamas cannot setup and breakdown the camp for you, let alone cook and serve the meals to you. wink

May 13, 2014 12:39AM
plawrence
Well not if the llamas cannot setup and breakdown the camp for you, let alone cook and serve the meals to you. wink

Are you saying you've had defective llamas?
May 13, 2014 10:58AM
Defective is such a harsh word. Just say they were culinarily and housekeeping challenged... wink

May 13, 2014 12:04AM
I hide the keys in/near the car...
May 14, 2014 10:18PM
I do love ultralight. I was down to 8.5 pounds base weight years ago with a four ounce backpack. Times change and I carry a few luxury items. And items which allow me not to worry while out there...

So Basilbop and I always carry a key secured to the inside of our backpacks. One each. We often get back to the car late, and we need to get scooting back....

On solo trips, one in backpack, one hidden on/near car.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login