Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

nordvpn

Advanced

Re: Recommended Place to Overnight on Pohono?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Recommended Place to Overnight on Pohono?
May 14, 2014 10:04AM
OK, so for those familiar w/ my earlier post on this trip; I was able to turn this into an overnighter. So I'll be camping on the Pohono Trail. I see that you have to cross the footbridge to be considered in backpackable area. I'm sure there are many beautiful places to overnight. Any recommendations? Dewey Pt?

Thanks in advance.

Jon
May 14, 2014 12:11PM
Can't camp on Dewey. I'm sure the ranger will happily mark on your map where you are good to camp.
avatar Re: Recommended Place to Overnight on Pohono?
May 14, 2014 04:51PM
O.K., thanks.
May 14, 2014 05:04PM
The Trailhead Map shows how far you are required to go before camping (via the ends of the arrows).

I believe Dewey Point itself is no campng, check with a ranger when you get your permit as to how far away you need to be (in winter the answer is not very far, not sure whether the summer restriction is different or not).
May 14, 2014 09:23PM
I believe it means no camping on the point itself. There are plenty of spots within 100 yards of the point.

Old Dude
May 15, 2014 12:31AM
I think there's a no camping zone all along the rim of the valley. You have to be some distance ( ? ) away.
At the very least don't be visually obtrusive!
May 15, 2014 02:46AM
Thanks for the tips guys. Yes, my map shows where I can camp; but thought maybe someone that had done the hike would have a suggestion on a really nice place to overnight.

I'll post on the trip when I get back; and put in some pictures if I can.
May 15, 2014 07:05AM
In the summer you can camp right next to Dewey.
Next to Bridalveil itself is meh. Not tooo much to look at.
Camp at Dewey or head up the hill to the BM...
Dewey Pt. and area RIGHT around it is closed to camping in
the winter. Pretty much... the idea is... if people camp there
in the summer... then you are not supposed to camp there
in the winter. So... you CAN camp at Dewey, Crocker, Stanford,
Old Inspiration, Inspiration, Wherever Pt, etc.

It's self registration at BOF for GP road. So you won't be
able to ask a ranger there anything... and I don't recommend
going to the valley and getting a permit... just write your own.

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 18, 2014 01:13AM
Thanks chick-on. Your advice was spot-on, no surprise. And thanks to all for your input.

I must admit that I was startled at the number of spectacular vistas. I've been visiting Yosemite for going on 5 decades and have hiked many of its trails numerous times. I've also seen many images of Yosemite, and rarely (relatively speaking) have I seen images taken from the Pohono Trail. I took this to mean that the really spectacular vistas were lacking. HA!!

All I can say is, I don't know why the Pohono Trail isn't one of the more well-known trails? Logistics could be a reason, but with a trail this world-class, you would think that shuttles would exist specifically to make logistics of doing the hike easier.

While it was packed in the valley, I saw 11 people on the trail all day...and 7 of those were within a mile or two of Tunnel View. I almost walked right into a bear...we both came around a corner not having heard the other approaching. Unlike bears in the Valley, this one was scared of me and took off like a shot as soon as he saw me.

Wonderful trip. I'll be hiking the Pohono more often now.

Jon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2014 01:38AM by sierranomad.
May 15, 2014 06:53AM
Since I day hike that trail, I confess I have not much paid attention.

Most of the obvious sites are of course right next to the creek... and if you get off the trail a bit either direction you find fire rings in illegal places, as usual.
May 15, 2014 09:32AM
AlmostThere

Most of the obvious sites are of course right next to the creek...

I hope you meant near the creek. It's illegal to camp NEXT to a creek. (Must be at least 100 feet away from all water sources, including creeks.)

And I'll also remind everyone that it's illegal to build new fire rings anywhere in Yosemite. If one wants to be build a campfire, they need to choose a campsite with a preexisting fire ring.

May 15, 2014 01:48PM
plawrence
AlmostThere

Most of the obvious sites are of course right next to the creek...

I hope you meant near the creek. It's illegal to camp NEXT to a creek. (Must be at least 100 feet away from all water sources, including creeks.)

And I'll also remind everyone that it's illegal to build new fire rings anywhere in Yosemite. If one wants to be build a campfire, they need to choose a campsite with a preexisting fire ring.

Nope, there are well used campsites next to every creek, despite the rules, and no matter how many people are told otherwise they are obviously still in use.

in the case of Rancheria Falls the rangers actually condone the use of sites next to the water instead of encouraging dispersal camping.

I park my hammock elsewhere and don't build a fire. particularly this year.
May 15, 2014 02:16PM
AlmostThere
Nope, there are well used campsites next to every creek, despite the rules, and no matter how many people are told otherwise they are obviously still in use.

in the case of Rancheria Falls the rangers actually condone the use of sites next to the water instead of encouraging dispersal camping.

From the Compendium:

Camping is permitted within 100 feet of a stream, trail or body of water
provided that a well established campsite exists and terrain permits no other options. In
no case will camping be permitted within 25 feet of a stream, trail or body of water.
May 16, 2014 07:49AM
eeek
AlmostThere

From the Compendium:

Camping is permitted within 100 feet of a stream, trail or body of water
provided that a well established campsite exists and terrain permits no other options. In
no case will camping be permitted within 25 feet of a stream, trail or body of water.

Send it to the Hetch Hetchy rangers. you're preaching to the choir here.
May 15, 2014 04:11PM
You bring up a policy I've been complaining about for decades though each park or national forest describes it differently. Will have a wee bit of fun on my soapbox.

As AT mentioned there are in the backcountry lots of obvious well used campsites not only only closer than 100 feet to streams but also lakes. Why is this? Well lots of people especially less experienced visitors want to camp close to water because lakes and streams excite them and makes camp chores easier. Of course in front country car camping areas that has been the status quo since ancient times. Just consider how so many backcountry visitors monotonously 98% of the time have itineraries that go from one body of water to the next, lake to lake to stream to lake as though no other destinations are worthy. And then when they visit the wilderness despite being preached to by authorities when picking up their wilderness permits, what they see are obviously recently used empty campsites with tent spots, rock furniture, fire pits, piles of wood, right there 40 feet from the edge of Punyfish Lake. Then looking across the lake, there is already a group with tents set up in like places.

Oh sure they also see a few legal campspots well away from the lake...but the seeds of evil have already been planted in their jelloey mind. Beside we all know there are almost no backcountry rangers out here anymore so it is up to each of us to decide which rules to follow and which ones to do whatever we da^^ well want to do! Many of the more established ones are in fact old horse packer sites. Backcountry rangers I've met usually comment...well its a well know packer site, better they continue to use that spot.

Well my response is sure I totally agree those well pounded old sites ought continue to be used instead of fouling up some natural areas nearby. But in order to not train new visitors into the mindset that disregarding policy is ok, there needs to be something done to indicate what is a special case for what is otherwise not legal. Oh no no no we can't put up signs, even tiny ones saying something like:

Camping is permitted in this campsite which is closer than 100 feet from water only because it is an officially designated old established site.

Because if we do guardians of the Society of Ultimate Wilderness Ethic will terroriize us. Besides the last time we did that it ended up in that thar fire pit even though this site is well above elevations for legal fire limits. And I look over seeing where little Timmy sawed off a nice branch on the lone little whitebark pine nearby for their nighttime fun.

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2014 04:16PM by DavidSenesac.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login