Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Leisurely Camping Trip to the Valley

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Leisurely Camping Trip to the Valley
May 27, 2014 08:56PM
For Memorial Day weekend we had a nice, relaxing weekend camping in the valley, doing touristy things and taking pictures similar to those taken by countless tourists:

Cascade above Lower Yosemite Falls:

Boardwalk in Sentinel Meadow:

Sunnyside Bench/Lost Arrow Spire/Yosemite Point:

Sentinel Dome and High Country from near Rainbow View:

Grizzly Point/View across Ahwahnee Meadow:

We had to deal with full campgrounds, mosquitoes, countless other hikers, and more, but we'll nonetheless return to the Incomparable Valley again and again, because there is no place else remotely like it, and it's right in our backyard.
May 27, 2014 09:00PM
Skeeters weren't too bad, actually, I only have 5 bites of note. Basilbop didn't even notice them at all. Got a little spoiled car camping... Sleeping in, eating carnitas and eggs and hash browns for breakfast. Oh my. Good thing we have several backpacking trips planned already and more in the planning process! smiling smiley
May 27, 2014 09:23PM
We were there also. We were planning on a Ten Lakes hike but postponed it for three weeks to let some snow melt off the north face of the trail down to the basin.
We had a great time in the Valley. We looked like total car camping newbies. It was a little funny having our little tent 2' from a strangers tent. They weren't strangers for long!

Mirror Lake was a lot of fun but there were lines of people waiting to take shots of 1/2D's reflection.

May 27, 2014 09:37PM
Ah, we have the car "glamping" down to an art. I'll try to find a pic somewhere of our "Camp REI" setup. multiple tents, kitchen, tables, alcoves, chairs galore, we settle in for a siege! smiling smiley I mean, the waste of it all... our Hobbitat 6 for just us two.. KING size air mattress. Down comforter what sprawl, what comfort! smiling smiley Royal spoilage... all at clearance and scratch and dent prices! ;-)

(site issues preventing me from timely edits, sorry): I do want to point out that we do this for week-long, multi-family excursions. 10 or so, not 2. This past weekend was relatively small, just 7 of us, so what we called the "minimalist glamping" set! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2014 09:46PM by JustKeepWalking.
May 27, 2014 09:38PM
Sounds good to me!
avatar Re: Leisurely Camping Trip to the Valley
May 28, 2014 07:42AM
Sounds good to me as well. smiling smiley
May 27, 2014 11:35PM
basilbop
Cascade above Lower Yosemite Falls:

That looks a lot like Roaring River Falls:

May 28, 2014 06:34AM
Looks like Roaring Yosemite Creek Falls to me.

Pretty disappointed in no "Mist Trail" faux toe dough.

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 28, 2014 07:45PM
We skipped doing the "Mist Trail" this time; didn't want to risk tripping over anyone sleeping on the trail again :-(

That was the same trip we recreated this shot of lower Tenaya Canyon, Basket Dome, and GP from the Snow Creek trail:

And one more faux toe of popular valley sights from the archives: a perspective rarely seen of Clouds Rest from across Tenaya Canyon :

I think you have a good one of Half Dome...?
May 28, 2014 08:35PM
Is that shot looking across Tenaya Canyon towards Clouds Rest taken from the top of Mt Watkins?

Great pictures.
May 28, 2014 08:48PM
atomicmonkey
Is that shot looking across Tenaya Canyon towards Clouds Rest taken from the top of Mt Watkins?

Ummm, not exactly...

atomicmonkey
Great pictures.

Thanks!
!
May 28, 2014 08:59PM
WOW! I was only off by an entire mountain range! I guess I need to get out more.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login