Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite Valley river float

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Yosemite Valley river float
June 04, 2014 01:06PM
Does anyone know if they have started requiring permits to float down the Merced in the valley? I thought I saw something in the "Merced Wild and Scenic River Plan" that would extend the length you could float but also require private vessels to have a permit.
Sorry, I meant to put this in the other forum. Doh!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2014 01:22PM by shaunsmomo.
avatar Re: Yosemite Valley river float
June 04, 2014 03:41PM
I don't recall in the newly adopted Merced River Plan that they will require permits for those wanting to use their own non-powered watercraft on the Merced River within Yosemite Valley.

Where permits will be required will be for using non-powered watercraft in the upper Merced River between its headwaters down to just below Little Yosemite Valley.

But I don't know when they're going to implement that portion of the Merced River Plan. When that portion of the plan is implement, I'm sure NPS will announce how to apply for the permits. (Again, permits would only be needed for watercraft on the upper portion of the Merced River, above Nevada Falls.)

Re: Yosemite Valley river float
June 05, 2014 11:57AM
Thanks for your help!
June 08, 2014 12:15PM
There are signs posted along the Merced through the Pines Campgrounds area warning that because of hazards downstream, that part of the river is closed to all watercraft. The signs say to put in at Stoneman Bridge instead -- nothing about needing a permit to do so.
June 08, 2014 07:53PM
Thanks for posting this question. It got me to thinking about how nice it would be to kayak down the Merced. Getting a kayak is an idea I've played with over the years; but this time I finally went and got one.

This will give me an option on days that I'm recovering from a long hike.

The only bummer is that one of the conditions is that the sum of water and air temp be at least 100 degrees. I was looking forward to kayaking in the winter...my favorite time to be in the Valley.

Jon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2014 07:55PM by sierranomad.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login