Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Morrison Creek water?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Morrison Creek water?
July 02, 2014 06:59PM
Our plan is to head out of White Wolf mid to late afternoon on July 12th and hike down toward Pate Valley. We'd like to stop for the night around Morrison Creek, and I was wondering if anyone has been through there lately so I can get a water report. Does it always have some flowing water?

thanks
avatar Re: Morrison Creek water?
July 07, 2014 07:17AM
Z Perret n his troop wuz just thru there... bumping this so he can chirp in.

I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get some water there at the moment.

I'd snag a litre after Harden Gardens and carry it down anyway or even just
carry an extra litre or two all the way from White Wolf... for peace of mind.
If he doesn't chirp I'll find out from weekend of 28th...
Conditions can change tho...

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 07, 2014 09:00AM
There was a decent flow on June 20th or so, but things are drying out quickly. According to the Schaffer book Morrison can dry out, and I suspect it will this year. Harden Lake was dry, and most of the little streams between Harden Lake and Morrison were only a trickle. I'd do what the pink one says: carry extra water from WW just in case--it's mostly downhill anyway.
July 07, 2014 06:09PM
Thanks for the replies. We'll carry extra water down there just in case. No need to post an update after your trip there on the 28th. We'll be there this Saturday.

The mention of Hardin Lake brings up questions that I should have had answered well before now. According to maps I've seen, there are 2 trails out of White Wolf. One trail goes east about 7/10ths of a mile then hits a trail that goes left to Pate Valley or right to Lukens Lake. The other trail goes south out of White Wolf and then to Hardin Lake. On other maps that 2nd trail looks more like a road. Which is the preferred trail?

Taking the trail that starts east, you would hit the juction at the center of this map.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=37.895379,-119.659352&z=15&t=t4

I had planned to go right and not continue on to Harden Lake. Is that not the most direct route? Is there a benefit to going past Hardin Lake, especially now that it's dried up?
avatar Re: Morrison Creek water?
July 07, 2014 06:51PM
I'm not going the 28th... I was talking about Z Perret Troup actually... I think the birdie
must be losing his mind... on account I'm purty sure he there on the 28th weekend.
Anywho... take the road down to Harden Lake... as shown on the map, there is a small
trail that cuts off the road.. and eliminates a down and subsequent back up.
once on that trail the rest is pretty pleasant. Don't take the eastern trail to start...
The trail along the rim from Harden heading east is no longer present... don't look for it
unless you are into that sorta thang either.
(the road and trail to Harden is all downhill... unless you miss the trail shortcut)

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 07, 2014 10:19PM
chick-on
I think the birdie must be losing his mind... on account I'm purty sure he there on the 28th weekend.

Yes, agreed, losing mind... too much back-to-back packing and backpacking... Resupply packages go out tomorrow...

Yes, pinkie is right: my Morrison Creek report is from June 27 (which is roughly "June 20th or so" :-( ). Anywho, the route down the old road from WW to Harden Lake is well-marked, and they have recently restored/de-roadified the segment between the WW water treatment facility (which is why there is still a service road) and Harden Lake. The trail can be a bit tricky to follow in the overgrown sections past Harden Lake--despite it being a dry year, this section was still pleasantly lush.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login