Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Rodents on the high wire

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Rodents on the high wire
July 09, 2014 11:32AM
Anyone else had this issue?
After the first night of our first trip with our brand new tent, I was packing up the tent when I noticed that one of the guy lines for the tent looked odd—frayed, frazzled, and worn.
The only explanation was a rodent chewing away on it, hoping to capture some of the fibers for a nest?
Wild.
We’re just happy that the little guy (yuck yuck) didn’t eat all the way through and send the tent collapsing around our ears. Stands up to gale force winds, rain, hail…
Brought down by a chipmunk.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: Rodents on the high wire
July 10, 2014 12:22AM
balzaccom
Anyone else had this issue?
After the first night of our first trip with our brand new tent, I was packing up the tent when I noticed that one of the guy lines for the tent looked odd—frayed, frazzled, and worn.

The only explanation was a rodent chewing away on it, hoping to capture some of the fibers for a nest? Wild.

We’re just happy that the little guy (yuck yuck) didn’t eat all the way through and send the tent collapsing around our ears. Stands up to gale force winds, rain, hail…
Brought down by a chipmunk.

You're sure it was a rodent that did the damage?

Not a black bear using that guy line as dental floss? wink

avatar Re: Rodents on the high wire
July 10, 2014 05:47PM
plawrence

You're sure it was a rodent that did the damage?

Not a black bear using that guy line as dental floss? wink

Or maybe a porkypine attracted to the salt from someone's hands?
July 11, 2014 03:06PM
Where were you? My first go-to for chewing on things are marmots. One little runt got my hiking pole handles while it was having lunch. I'd left them behind me. Silly me.

Oddly, never have had a problem at night. Yet. Knock on wood...
July 13, 2014 03:08PM
The belt pockets on my wife's pack got chewed up overnight a few years ago, presumably because of food residue. Luckily it is an Osprey pack, and Osprey fixed it for free (lifetime no questions asked warranty).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login