Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Rats! Or should I say, Curses!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Rats! Or should I say, Curses!
September 19, 2014 09:49AM
Three times.

Three times we have made plans to hike to Island Lake in the Desolation Wilderness. And three times our plans have been foiled. Once because M wasn't feeling well. Once because a huge storm was predicted (and delivered.) And now the King Fire.

Tahoe National Forest has announced that all hiking in Desolation Wilderness should be abandoned until that massive fire is under control---and it is 5% contained at this point. It has destroyed homes, injured firefighters, and carbonized over 100,000 acres of forest. And it has closed US 50 for a few miles as well.

So even if we WANTED to go hiking there, we couldn't get through to the trailhead. We've had other trips cancelled, both because of fire (in Yosemite) or other reasons. But we've never had to cancel the same itinerary more than once, except for Island Lake.

And now it's three times.

Ever had to cancel a trip more than once to the same place?

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
September 19, 2014 10:53AM
only if cancellation on two consecutive days count. I (and many others) were sat on the train at Emeryville (about 5 years ago) when the guard announced 'this train isn't going to Yosemite due to the Merced entrance road being closed (the train doesn't go there anyway, but we knew what he meant). so after spending one more expensive night at a hotel a few strides from the station, I made my way to the railroad the following day~ only to be told the same story~ a fire apparently started by some ****'s RV. so, thinking quickly (not one of my strongpoints) on realising I couldn't afford another night in Emeryville, I changed my ticket for one to South Lake Tahoe, as somewhere at the back of my mind I knew there must be a trail there. somewhere.
to cut a long story short, three weeks later I completed the Tahoe lake trail, which is not bad considering that I hadn't heard of it prior to my visit. there was water all along the way, I saw a ski lift?? no bears, a thunder storm, and a coyote lead someone's pet dog a merry dance. and I discovered Californian gooseberries: and an oasis/bike shop/café: found a cracking pair of cycling sunglasses ( which I later lost). and I visited what must be the most perfect 'Little' beach anywhere, at the top end of Fallen leaf lake. and all those lakeside houses. it was just like a Thomas kinkade jigsaw. I was in heaven. oh, and I saw Gilmore lake, got lost on the lower section of the path to mnt Tallac, and met one of the most obnoxious people at the top~ a young man who's only method of communication was by loud belching. poor lamb.
so, all in all, what could have turned into a trip from hell actually turned into a trip to heaven.crowing
avatar Re: Rats! Or should I say, Curses!
September 19, 2014 06:42PM
As long as my 'last year cancelled October trip due to Republican assholes' doesn't get cancelled this year, the answer will remain 'no'.
September 19, 2014 06:57PM
..........thumbs upthumbs up..........
September 21, 2014 09:37PM
Oh good. Figures that a thread that includes the words "curses" in the title will devolve into politics.

At any rate: Credit where credit is due...(pun intended) we got a phone call the day our hike was supposed to start, informing us that the trailhead was closed....and that they were refunding our permit money!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login