Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: A Hint of Winter

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

A Hint of Winter
November 11, 2014 07:46PM
We decided to head up for a day trip on Sunday, Nov. 2, after Saturday's snow storm. Since the high country was still closed, we headed to one of our favorite hikes: the Four Mile Trail.

The valley floor was still cold when we arrived at the already-full parking area.

Despite the white appearance of winter high up on the valley rim, the trees lower down were still clinging to fall.

The light snow was insufficient to restart Yosemite Falls.

Clouds Rest had been clear of snow a few weeks ago; it would be again a week or so later.

Below Union Point we encountered icy conditions and put on our traction devices.

The trail was mostly snow-covered from there to Glacier Point.

The high country was covered with what from a distance appeared to be just a dusting of snow.

We stopped at the overlook for lunch and warm tea.

There were several parties at Glacier Point despite the road--and facilities--being closed for the season.

After a wonderful hour or so at Glacier Point, we had to head back down.

The afternoon sun was warm, and a lot of the snow that had been along the valley rim had already melted away.

More Pictures
November 12, 2014 08:49AM
Nice. The coming of winter and "closing" of the high country always causes me to have melancholy thoughts. Looks like a good time. Thanks.
November 12, 2014 01:13PM
I used to feel sad with the thought the high country was "closing" too... but once I figured out how to handle the cold and snow/ice, I now very much look forward to it. The high country never really closes, it just changes and you have to figure out how to deal with the changes... Yes, getting further back/up is relatively harder, but worth the trouble. And everything is so different, so much to see and experience all over again!

On a side note: Tioga Road did open up again and we spent a glorious weekend up there this past weekend. Hopefully will have that posted soon...
November 12, 2014 05:03PM
Gorgeous. What a place.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login