Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Kibbie Lake Weekend Trip

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 20, 2015 06:57PM
The road up to Shingle Springs opened last week, and with the almost summer-like conditions...I hiked up to Kibbie Lake for the weekend.

The road is clear to Shingle Springs, there were three downed trees between the Eleanor trailhead and Shingle Springs but a vehicle-wide path was cleared through them. Not sure whether I had the lake to myself or not, there were fresh tracks along the trail but some seemed to be heading out rather than in, and though there were 3 other vehicles parked at the trailhead I saw nobody.

At 6500 feet or so the lake is fairly low elevation for Yosemite, but has lots of nice granite around it:

For much of the afternoon a line of clouds seemed to be following the ridge along the Styx Pass trail, and around 5 thunderstorms broke out along that ridge.

I was on the edge of this, Kibbie Lake stayed dry, I could hear a bit of thunder, and I could look up and see I was on the edge of the clouds. This continued for a while, until a little after 6, when the storms collapsed and there was a pretty good outflow wind.

Snow plants know what the calendar says, even though the mountains look like early summer:

Lots of good looking granite in that area:

Cherry Lake resevoir looks pretty low considering it's spring:

avatar Re: Kibbie Lake Weekend Trip
April 20, 2015 07:16PM
Ewe missed the Yosemite Yacht Club by a day...

Have yet to take pix off camera yet ...

We didn't see anyone either... Kibbie - > Mercur Lake -> Cherry Creek Canyon

Maybe Z Old Stick N Fedders will dooz a TR
smiling smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
avatar Re: Kibbie Lake Weekend Trip
April 20, 2015 07:39PM
Cool. Did you folks clear the path in question, or did the FS clear it when they opened the gate?
April 20, 2015 08:14PM
ttilley
Cool. Did you folks clear the path in question, or did the FS clear it when they opened the gate?

I drove the road to the trailhead ahead of the Chick-on mobile.

By the time we drove there Friday morning, there were three or four cars already in the parking lot, and I think we passed a few vehicles pulled over along the road in various spots. I do not know if the FS smashed the path clear or if the vehicles in the parking lot did, but given that one was a passenger sedan, doubt that it did the work. Possible that the other vehicles did, but guessing FS did initial clearing. Additional smashing probably happens over time with traffic.

When we returned Sunday afternoon, a van with would-be kayakers pulled in and chatted with Chick-on and Basilbop. That left, and an actual Yosemite National Park ranger drove in and chatted with us. More on this in the trip report.
April 20, 2015 08:08PM
chick-on
Maybe Z Old Stick N Fedders will dooz a TR
smiling smiley
He's working on the TR as I type. Many pictures to secure, a couple of cherished videos. Gotta have backups... Once the pictures are secure, they will be curated into an album and then the trip report will be written with links to select pics from the album.

We will probably keep several pics and possibly some of the videos private.... hehehe...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2015 08:09PM by JustKeepWalking.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login