Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tenaya Lakes to Clouds Rest- Early June

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tenaya Lakes to Clouds Rest- Early June
May 17, 2015 06:26PM
Hi all,

Is it possible to get from Tenaya Lakes to Sunrise and then to Couds Rest and down to Little Yosemite Valley in early June? We're starting on Monday, June 8th. With the low snowfall this year, will this hike work out?

Can we camp wherever we need to or are there illegal places? I just read about a group who pitched tents right on the spine of Cloud's Rest!

Also, what should we predict for black flies or mosquitoes along this route the week of June 8th?

Thanks, all.

Myra
May 18, 2015 11:01AM
It seems that 96 people viewed my questions but no one answered. Can anyone help? Thx in advance.
avatar Re: Tenaya Lakes to Clouds Rest- Early June
May 18, 2015 11:14AM
Patience... (some birdies spend a lot of time out in da woods... as opposed to playing with their Dell Compoooters)
smiling smiley

June 8... this year... Tenaya Crossing should be not much issue...
Snow on way up to Sunrise Lakes prolly no biggie...
So... yeah... it's doable.
Sorry... I dunno the exact condition currently since personally haven't been up there yet due to
a certain road being open/closed/open/closed ... and therefore going elsewhere...

Black flies are not an issue at that elevation ... well... I've never had any issue along that route...
Mosquitoes could be an issue but probably not too bad yet... especially since we've been
having all these storms flying thru.

imo ... "in season" you should not be camping on the CR "spine" b/c it's simply ... I dunno
kinda rude ... imo... b/c the trail is RIGHT there and well... you can't get 100 ft. away and
all... I mean I've done it "off season" a couple of times.. but quite honestly... there are a LOT
of places nearby where you could camp and still have stellar views..

Pretty much in Yose you can camp just about anywhere within limits of 100 ft. from water/ trail.
etc. That's what makes it so great ... please Leave No Trace (should not have to
mention fire rings... since on permit... but ... sheesh... ya... don't build a new fire ring )

So in conclusion:
- there will be a lot of people hiking that-a-way then ... so yeah it's doable
- no black fries
- mosquitoes v. doubtful... but I would bring mosq. dope n some protection just in case
- camping ... of course

smiling smiley

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 18, 2015 12:25PM
terrafirma60
It seems that 96 people viewed my questions but no one answered.

Many of those "views" were not people (nor poultry). Bots hit this site pretty hard at times.
May 18, 2015 11:21AM

You have given me an excuse to post this old video from a few years ago.

The short answer to your question is yes. And now I see Chick-On beat me to the answer...
May 19, 2015 12:39PM
Do you have permits?
May 20, 2015 04:07AM
Permits is the other issue. No, we don't have them yet as we are still looking at routes. Have to decide quickly.
May 20, 2015 06:40AM
terrafirma60
Permits is the other issue. No, we don't have them yet as we are still looking at routes. Have to decide quickly.

Ouchy.

You too late if you are thinking to reserve. Only walkup at this point.
Pretty much anything south of 120 ... yeah... yeah... um...
See ... the thing is... there's the whole Half Dome thing and
the whole Yosemite Valley thing... people like to have it easy and
hike more or less downhill...
So if you gonna go that-a-way... you gonna have to arrive day early
and very early and wait in a line and then still prolly not get
Sunrise TH.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermits.htm

Full report thingie here:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/fulltrailheads.pdf

Good luck
and
Have fun wherever you end up

May 21, 2015 06:01AM
Bummer. Wasn't sure. Thx for the heads up, Click-on. On Mon. Afternoon, do you think we could get a permit to go up to Glen Aulin, May Lake, Hoffman? You alluded to trails north of 120 being not as over-run?
Thx for all your help.
May 21, 2015 07:11AM
The ones you mentioned have a fair number for quota for walkup.
(Sunrise has a ... whopping 6 fcfs!)
So, yes, Monday you should have good luck with those THs.
If not... you can get for NEXT day and go on a bit of a dayhike...
then camp overnight in the TM backpackers campground.
That is one way to do it.

Good luck

May 21, 2015 07:17AM
Perfect. Thanks. Yes, from reading a lot of posts, Sunrise was beginning to sound VERY crowded! Only six FCFS? What is the full quota for that trailhead at any given time? Just curious?

I love this site, you guys. You're the best. All your trip stories make me want to pull up VT stakes and spend unlimited time roaming the Sierra!
May 21, 2015 10:33AM
terrafirma60
Perfect. Thanks. Yes, from reading a lot of posts, Sunrise was beginning to sound VERY crowded! Only six FCFS? What is the full quota for that trailhead at any given time? ...

Yosemite TH quotas are at http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/trailheads.htm . Sunrise is 9/6 reserved/walk-up for 15 total per day.
May 21, 2015 02:37PM
Thx. I will go to the website for more info.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login