Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tuolumne Area Trail Conditions

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tuolumne Area Trail Conditions
May 28, 2015 01:41PM
I'm thinking of taking some dayhikes in the Tuolumne area next week. I've tried to get through to the Wilderness desk in Yosemite with no luck. So, how are the trails now with all the recent snowfall? I'd imagine Lyell is pretty muddy. Is the trail to Glen Aulin under water? Are the lakes still iced over? Any ice or snow still on the trails?

Any information from anyone who has been there in the past few days is appreciated.
May 28, 2015 10:55PM
Quick trail report from last weekend:

Spent Memorial Day Weekend backpacking in the Tuolumne Area (even in the midst of Saturday's snow storm). Took Rafferty Creek to the Fletcher lake area. Trails were wet, but not muddy. Snow patches on the trail starting at ~9800 ft elevation., but trail was easy to follow through these small snow patches. Only snow travel was climbing up to the Fletcher lake area after the trail splits towards Vogelsang Lake (vs Emeric Lake). Experienced some postholing for that brief climb, Otherwise fine and snow was well travelled by Sunday. Half of Fletcher lake was iced over.

Hope this helps!
May 29, 2015 08:15AM
There was more runoff than I expected on Wednesday. I believe, with the hot temps predicted for this weekend, the runoff and snow melt should peak about Monday June 1. Wear waterproof boots!
June 01, 2015 10:22AM
We just came back from a trip between Tuolumne Meadows and Waterwheel Falls (on the trail last Thursday to Saturday). The trail to Glen Aulin is very passable with 2 creek crossings requiring either going through the water or log / rock hopping. Past Glen Aulin, there's a section of trail maybe 200 yards long that is underwater and difficult to pass with dry feet. I believe it was just upstream from California Falls. It's a bit of a bog. We picked our way across a maze of fallen logs on the way downstream, and scrambled across the uphill rockpile on the way back. Slow going, but doable. Many others just trudged through the water with boots off. Falls were spectacular all along the way though and traffic was light. Good luck!
June 01, 2015 02:10PM
My friends did a White Wolf to Tuolummne Meadows trip via the Grand Canyon of Tuolumne over the memorial day weekend and all crossings look passabale. I did see some sections under the water. Here are the pics that my buddy posted
White Wolf to Tuolumne, May 23-25, 2015
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login