Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Gaylor/Granite Lakes loop

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Gaylor/Granite Lakes loop
July 14, 2015 03:41PM
Heading up to the park in a few weeks and thinking about checking out the Gaylor Lakes/Great Sierra Mine/Granite Lakes ~6 mile loop.

How challenging is the off-trail portion from the mine down to Granite Lakes and back up to Middle Gaylor? Is the terrain wide open & easy to pick out routes, or does it require some advance knowledge of landmarks, routes, etc? Especially thinking about the portion from the mine down to Upper Granite Lake.

I've been to Middle & Upper Gaylor before, and based on that, I'm assuming it's wide open easy terrain to navigate, but wanted to check before we leave the trail. We'll have a topo map, of course.
July 14, 2015 05:26PM
It's very wide open, easy to navigate terrain. Remember that this is a day-use only area .
July 15, 2015 10:58AM
Thanks, that's what I figured. Looking forward to exploring the area!
July 16, 2015 07:22AM
open terrain, mostly easy to find. We did have someone point it out to us, which was helpful, but in general, it's not hard to see granite lakes. They're surrounded by a big semi-circle wall.

Also fun to hike to the other side of the mines from Tioga Rd, towards Bennettville.
July 19, 2015 09:42AM
Not too "challenging" terrain. My hubby did it last June with a brand new hip
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login