Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Rocketlawyer.com

Advanced

Re: Glacier hike in Yosemite?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Glacier hike in Yosemite?
August 12, 2015 07:54AM
Just curious if anyone here has been to either of the glaciers in Yosemite. How long would it take, overnight hike?

I will be there in early September and have been thinking it might be cool to say, when I am an old man (Pretty old now but...) that I have seen and stood on a glacier. From what is seems they all might be gone in a few years.

Any info would be very much appreciated, thank you.
August 12, 2015 08:35AM
I've never been to either Lyell or Maclure so can't comment on what it takes to get there (although, if I recall correctly, Lyell is 20+ miles from the TH and probably an overnighter unless you're comfortable covering significantly more-than-average miles-per-day). I did want to point out that, technically, Lyell is no longer a glacier (it's no longer advancing). I'm not versed enough in glacierology to know if it's currently classed as a "permanent snowfield" or as a "receding glacier" but, in case it matters to you, thought I'd through that out there. From what I've read, Maclure IS still advancing (although it's getting smaller and smaller).
August 12, 2015 12:41PM
You might be interested in this blog entry from the NPS/yose site (if you haven't already seen it).
avatar Re: Glacier hike in Yosemite?
August 12, 2015 09:34AM
August 12, 2015 09:40AM
jhc7399
Just curious if anyone here has been to either of the glaciers in Yosemite. How long would it take, overnight hike?

I will be there in early September and have been thinking it might be cool to say, when I am an old man (Pretty old now but...) that I have seen and stood on a glacier. From what is seems they all might be gone in a few years.

Any info would be very much appreciated, thank you.

The Lyell Glacier is about 12.5 miles in from TM with an elevation gain of nearly 2500', mostly at the south end of the canyon just before the glacier. Get expert advice prior to venturing onto the glacier. (Chick-on says that with the receding of the glacier the last few years it will be about another 1K' up or about 3500' total from TM)

Old Dude

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2015 01:40PM by mrcondron.
August 12, 2015 10:24AM
Old Guy,
Me tinks you gonna be looking up 1000 ft. at 2500 ft. up from TM at Z Glass-e-errrr...

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 12, 2015 12:44PM
chick-on
Old Guy,
Me tinks you gonna be looking up 1000 ft. at 2500 ft. up from TM at Z Glass-e-errrr...

I don't think he want's to do the peak, just stand on a glacier.

Old Dude
August 12, 2015 12:50PM
mrcondron
chick-on
Old Guy,

The peak is 4500 ft. climb...

The glacier is about 3500 ... it's receeded greatly since years ago when u yelled at me for running around on it...
tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 12, 2015 01:42PM
chick-on
mrcondron
chick-on
Old Guy,

The peak is 4500 ft. climb...

The glacier is about 3500 ... it's receeded greatly since years ago when u yelled at me for running around on it...
tongue sticking out smiley

Noted

Old Dude
August 12, 2015 07:29PM
Thanks so much for the quick response.

The knowledge on this forum of Yosemite and the surrounding area is just unreal, I really appreciate it!

I am really up in the air for my second hike while I am there in two weeks. I posted a few weeks ago about hiking from TM to HI but now I am not sure which way I want to go.

Thanks again for all of the info!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2015 07:30PM by jhc7399.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login