Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Pohono Oct. 12-15

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Pohono Oct. 12-15
September 23, 2015 05:57PM
Looking to do 3 nights in the park. Never been. Me and one other person will be arriving in the Valley in the afternoon. Gonna try and snag a permit, set up camp in the backpacker campground, and do a day hike somewhere. Next day thinking about 1 or 2 nights on the Pohono Trail from Tunnel View. Likely just gonna be an out and back. Main goal is to camp somewhere with a view. Stanford, Crocker, or Dewey perhaps?
Is this a decent plan? Or is there something better y'all would recommend? Any suggestions, tips, advice would be greatly appreciated.
Also What can we expect this time of year? (I'm prepared for freezing conditions)
Bears? Other Humans?
What about water? (Website says Pohono is dry until Bridalveil).
September 23, 2015 06:25PM
Do you have a car?

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 23, 2015 06:29PM
I can't answer any of your questions, but I do like a catchy name!
September 23, 2015 07:14PM
Camping at Dewey with spectacular views.

Hard to do a 2-night since no camping east of Bridaveil Creek crossing.

True dry from Tunnel View to Bridalveil, there are a few very small streamlets but certainly dried up now.

Transportation is tricky since no shuttle to/from Tunnel View. Best if you can somehow get a ride there then after the Pohono come down the 4-Mile instead of doubling back.

Yes plan on nights that potentially could go below freezing. I would imagine snow is not out of the question at the highest elevations, which could be a real challenge in following the trail.

Other humans that time of year, maybe a few dayhiking the first mile up from Tunnel View, then probably very few until you get to Taft. Bears always a possibility, but no worries if you just leave them alone, they are very habituated in Yosemite and tend to give you a bored look. Your food, though, they will be very interested in if it's not immediately with you. Be sure you take an approved bear canister for all smellables (if needed you can rent one where you pick up your wilderness permit). A couple of years ago there was a mountain lion roaming that area but you'll be fine, especially since it's 2 of you.
September 23, 2015 09:08PM
Awesome, thanks for the replies y'all! We'll have a car, probably going to leave it at Tunnel View. I'd like to do the whole thing and come down 4 mile like you said, but transportation back is an issue (Is hitchhiking common? Never done it), and I'm not too trilled about camping at Bridalveil (I hear it's deep in the woods; I wanna see some stars).
September 24, 2015 07:27AM
Since you have a car I would recommend to skip the Tunnel View to Stanford Pt. section...
and use your time by heading to Glacier Pt. with your car... enjoy the view...
go dayhike up Sentinel Dome... maybe even Taft Pt... then... backpack from McGurk Mdw TH
to Dewey Pt. ... picking up water at Bridalveil Creek...
Next day ... dayhike to Crocker ... and maybe Stanford.. and then back... and either
spend another night at Dewey... or move on... (hint: move on!) Go up to Tuolumne Meadows
and do a 1 night backpack there too... there are loads of options... just pick one and go for it...
Need more? ask...

Have fun though regardless
(and donut worry bout da bears... use a bear can and u good to goes)

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 24, 2015 06:13PM
I like this idea. Think I'm gonna go with that. Thanks!
October 19, 2015 11:04PM
Pohono was closed due to fire. Did Clouds Rest instead. Set up camp on the other side of the pond then dropped our packs and continued on to the top. Pretty tough hike for this Florida Boy. Not sure why the ranger at the wilderness center said the trail was completely dry. Also did the Crowded hike to the top of Nevada falls. Weather was absolutely perfect. Thanks for the help y'all!

imgur
October 20, 2015 12:37AM
Clouds Rest, not a bad choice for a backup hike. Thanks for sharing the pic.
October 26, 2015 06:48PM
Glad to hear ur trip worked out!

Two great places! Good for you!!!
October 20, 2015 04:47PM
Nice picture and a couple of excellent choices for hikes!
Thanks for reporting back on your adventures.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login