Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (86% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Hetch Hetchy Loop 3/11-3/13

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hetch Hetchy Loop 3/11-3/13
February 29, 2016 01:16PM
Hey Gang,

Been following the boards here for a while and now wanted to get into the action. I've got backpacking fever and need to hit up the Sierra asap. thinking about the 27 mile loop in Hetch Hetchy the weekend of 3/11/16-3/13/16. Was hoping to get some thoughts from the group on the potential for snow (thinking there will be some as I hit up HH and YNP roughly 10x year). Haven't ever done the big loop at once and am dying to get out. My hiking partner and I are looking for anyone else who wants to join as well. She and I are strong hikers (for the most part) and would love some new company/friends to join us.

Any and all advice is welcome!

-Mike
avatar Re: Hetch Hetchy Loop 3/11-3/13
February 29, 2016 01:37PM
Expect Tiltill Valley to be flooded and much of the trek over Gibson to be snow...
I would expect lots of water and snow from Beehive ... thru Vernon... and
to up Gibson for quite some distance... I wouldn't go without snowshoes...
and I wouldn't go expecting my feet to stay dry... pretty much expect a wade
thru Tiltill valley...

We went to Rancheria two weekends ago... and it was HOT ... with lots of
water running... but Beehive will hold snow ... for quite some time...

You can see the depth here:
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/COURSES

(look for Vernon and Beehive)

Have fun (no clue what am doing then... )
(ok I have a clue... but dunno where)
(ok some would say I don't have a clue)
tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 29, 2016 04:19PM
Hm. Early March probably too cold...

But I love seeing swimming snakes in Tiltil valley when it's flooded! Has happened a few times now.

And I don't mind the clearer water when flooded, just hate the mucky parts.

Oh... Headnet!!! For the flies! Kicked myself when we did Hetch Hetchy area two weekends ago. One flew right into my nostril! Ugh! Stupidly didn't expect so early...
March 06, 2016 07:14PM
Went up to Frogcreek just before Beehive on Tuesday March 1st and there was hardly a trace of snow up until about 6500 when you break over the ridge up to that little unamed pond just before Frog creek just under 1.5 Miles from bee hive. At that point the trail was fully covered in snow but walked on for sure. Not sure how much was up there. I walked off trail past the pond down to Frog creek and didn't have much problem walking on top the snow(though I only had on a day pack). Snow on the trail definitely had been packed down a bit along that section as well.

Taken from the Trail looking right about where that unnamed pond should be.

Frog Creek a little over a mile from Bee Hive

Frog creek is as far as I ventured out to so I don't know exactly what Bee Hive looks like but I'm sure its pretty similar. Got a pretty good storm up here right now over the last few days that I am sure is adding a fresh bit of snow to the upper parts. Hasn't been to cold of a snow, nothing in Yosemite valley has stuck below about 7,000 so far.

I am actually looking to go out there that same weekend as you are but I have no snow shoes and am not super well prepared for Hiking through snow so I'm not sure where I'm gonna go to yet.

Anyway Hope that helps you figure out what you need to make it a good trip. Honestly If you have snow shoes or something to help with that part I think it would be a very nice trip. Temps out there lately have been very nice during the day and the nights not to cold either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2016 07:16PM by randomsteve95370.
March 09, 2016 04:36PM
Don't Know if your still planning on coming up this coming weekend but it looks like quite the storm is going to be rolling in middle of this week and last tell mid next week. I live just a little bit north of Yosemite and local stations are calling for around 5 feet of fresh snow over this next week with most of it falling Friday-Sunday. I'm calling of my trip as I don't want to take any risks with such a large storm. But if you do still plan on coming up I would make sure and over prepare with food and shelter, snow shoes, and dry clothes. Better safe then sorry out in a such a storm. smiling smiley Anyway Kinda bummed i'm not gonna get out this weekend but if you end up out there make sure and share the pictures because I am sure it will be beautiful out there.
March 10, 2016 11:44AM
Photos from our trip there over Memorial Day weekend in 2011

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login