Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Trip Report: TM to Glen Aulin/Waterwheel (6/4 - 6/5)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Trip Report: TM to Glen Aulin/Waterwheel (6/4 - 6/5)
June 10, 2016 07:20PM
Hi guys! Long time lurker, but lurker no more.

I’ve been trying to get up to TM for an early season trip out to Glen Aulin for a few years and was finally able to get up there for a quick one nighter this year. Left LA Friday night and headed up to TM Saturday morning after a quick sleep at the lovely Bishop Super 8. Picked up our permits and were on the trail by 9.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen marmots here every time I’ve ever walked by.

Rad views of classic TM scenery.

The handful of creek crossings in TM weren’t too bad. We were able to find logs or rocks on all of them including Dingley.

Once we made it out to the first bridge, we could really see that the Tuolumne was raging. The last chunk of the bridge had water running over it, but it wasn't really an issue to get across.

We made it out to Tuolumne Falls and it certainly didn’t disappoint. It was absolutely gushing at what I imagine was close to peak flow.

White Cascade was also rocking.

We had a casual stroll along the Tuolumne after that with nice views of some falls (I imagine seasonal?), that we’d soon get a much better look at.

And by get a better look at, I mean wade through. About a quarter mile of the trail immediately above California Falls was completely flooded out by said falls. Nothing to do but roll up our pants, stroll through, and embrace the wet sock mindset.

The river and all the falls beyond here were absolutely gushing. So much water.

EDIT: Thanks to a keen eye by JKW, it looks as though we fell victim to the classic LeConte vs. Waterwheel confusion! Here's LeConte looking awesome (NOT Waterwheel!!!). We turned back here so unfortunately didn't get a look at Waterwheel...guess we'll have to make another trip out there! Also seems as though most of the pics of Waterwheel online are actually LeConte...

We headed back up past the flooded out trail section and found a pretty sweet camp spot a bit above California Falls.

There was a slight chance of rain all weekend, but we managed to avoid any rain…pretty much perfect weather all weekend.

Conness looking sweet on the hike out.

And the falls/river seemed to be going even harder the next morning. We took our boots off to cross that first bridge because the water was pretty much unavoidable.

Seagull in TM…huh.

Overall a killer first trip of the year. Thanks, guys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2016 08:23PM by rocknrolltakeover.
avatar Re: Trip Report: TM to Glen Aulin/Waterwheel (6/4 - 6/5)
June 13, 2016 12:07AM
Thank you for posting a great trip report with a lot of great photos of the water and the waterfalls. It was very enjoyable looking at all that water after several years of severe drought.

Leave No Trace
June 13, 2016 07:02AM
Tanks fur Sharon!

Water was down a wee bit on Sunday...

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 13, 2016 03:42PM
Very nice trip report.
Thank you. Loved the pictures!
June 13, 2016 06:03PM
Nice report........... it brings back some memories, although it wasn't as flooded when we went. Pretty sure there were marmots on the rock then too. Thanks for the report.
June 14, 2016 02:53PM
Thanks for the kind words, guys. It was a fun one.
June 21, 2016 06:31PM
Great TR. Anyone been down there since? I was wondering how long it might take for the trail to dry out a bit.
June 22, 2016 06:25AM
Mom
Great TR. Anyone been down there since? I was wondering how long it might take for the trail to dry out a bit.

Sorry, I didn't go down past (or in) Glen Aulin proper... so I can only speculate on that. The last two weekends went thru GA tho.
(passthru the HSC area) (by White Cascade)
The waterfalls are all incredible now (I posted a pix of California from last weekend) ... anywho..
Delaney was about calf high two weekends ago. Dingley was ankle high... I would expect Dingely to be very very little
now but Delaney you will still get your feet wet. The Mattie outlet was still flowing last weekend... albeit not
huge. Since it is still flowing there will be SOME water in GA proper... (the infamous flooded area) but I would not
expect a LOT of flooded. In a couple of weeks it will be nill imo. There is very little south facing snow melting into Mattie.

Anywho. Hope you can get out there. And if this no help. Sorry. It's best I can do.

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login