Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Top o Wapama

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

February 02, 2017 06:46AM
Was gonna post dis late last year ... never gotz around to it...
Since this:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,87419

Figure good time

Very top of Wapama...

(i.e. right before z brink)
2009:

2012:

2014:

2016:

I'll let you think on that... smiling smiley

Still one I think back on ...
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,51467,51467#msg-51467

or for the lazy peeps:

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 02, 2017 09:25AM
Hmm. Maybe we *will* go to Wapama in the snow (winter).. Looks great. Sad to see the demise of the "sentinel" tree at the Top o Wapama. I wonder if it's part of the bigger die-off caused by drought & bark beetles.

Thanks for the great pix.
February 02, 2017 10:09AM
Cool. Have fun!

The tree burned from The Rim fire... kinda a bummer..

Water washed it over the falls. I didn't see it at the base...
but I didn't go searching for it much either... just wanted to
goof around on the old trail and play around on the rocks some.

February 02, 2017 10:28AM
Looks like I took a video last November...

February 02, 2017 10:35AM
February 02, 2017 03:01PM
Great video. Thanks.
February 02, 2017 02:59PM
chick-on
The tree burned from The Rim fire... kinda a bummer..
Wow. I heard it was a hot fire (and saw evidence that is true). That tree seemed (from the picture) to be pretty isolated. And it was dry, so subject to blowing embers. Still...
chick-on
Water washed it over the falls. I didn't see it at the base...
but I didn't go searching for it much either... just wanted to
goof around on the old trail and play around on the rocks some.
The old trail? Do tell...
February 06, 2017 08:09AM
The Rim Fire was ridonk.

Take a look at what it did ... a little bit of a before and after here near North Mountain and Miguel:
http://tinyurl.com/jrqwdfj

Hope that works. I went back last Nov.. but didn't get around to showing that...

w/r to Wapama

There's a short spur trail that ends at the falls / gully made by the falls.
It goes pretty level just after the trail does it's final decent to the footbridges.
It's fairly obvious. I prolly have pix if you go and can't find it.
The trail must have gone out on the rocks because there's old stanchions
in one huge rock. Dunno more than that. Please someone reply if
they know anything more. Thank you
There's LOADS of poison oak along trail ... so... tread with that in mind.

Have fun

February 14, 2017 01:32PM
Did you go?

Are you going?

Where did you go?

February 19, 2017 04:47PM
Story is still in progress. At Yosemite now. Had been looking forward to a snow trip to Wapama/HH Dome/??. Have bomber snowshoes (MSR Lightning Ascent, broken in on Dewey Point & Tempo Dome short hikes last month - even breaking trail to Tempo). Gaiters, Katoolahs, all kinds of good stuff.

No snow, and trail closed at Wapama bridge as we know due to damage (rockfall?). Trail to Beehive now also closed due to rockfall. Also, despite the weather report of many inches of snow every day for the past/next 4 days, warm temps and rain/drizzle and only a bit of mixed snow falling. So OK, we'll do Crane looky tower and/or spurs south to views of Clark Range. Except, socked in with clouds/fog. Can't even see 50 yards.

But it's still Yosemite and happy to be here - how can any reasonable person complain? So we decided to finally walk the Old Coulterville Rd down to 140. I think we passed the "Cookie Sheet"? Saw protection in the rocks and even a rope leading all the way to the top (with no one on it).

Then we walked the other way towards El Portal. Was so close to skipping across burnt bridge, but there was so much water flowing (is that Fairy Falls?) that it would have been really slippery, and I would have gotten soaked. SO talked me out of it (despite my *strong* desire to get down to the next creek (Little Crane Creek?) and the concrete arch bridge - it was really flowing too). IMO should be treated as an unsurvivable fall with all the water rushing down the rocks. The actual crossing is not difficult, and can be quite safe in calm state of mind (meaning not so fearful that reason loses out to emotion-driven actions). But it was slippery - and really wet. So next time.

I wonder if the bridge will ever be repaired, if only for walking? There were clear signs of some form of maintenance recently. Maybe just to preserve as a fire road? But compared to the trails with thousands of users also needed maintenance, I suspect this will be low on the priority list. Honestly though, I don't understand why some places are empty while others are packed. The view of the Merced flowing down that canyon is spectacular, and there are many falls that while not the same scale of the popular ones are still really nice. And, we didn't see one person all day. Not one. Can't beat that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 09:20PM by ags.
February 19, 2017 05:20PM
Kewl!

I was gonna post this Thurday...

[/url]

I took it on Wednesday... but... I figured with Trail closed... it was moot point...

Glad you having fun!

February 19, 2017 05:46PM
No... from top of Kolana (again!?) Sweet!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login