Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Tuolumne Trek

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tuolumne Trek
April 21, 2017 12:25PM
From this link: https://matadornetwork.com/read/16-must-see-national-parks-year/:

Yosemite National Park, California | Tuolumne Trek

The 28-mile Tuolumne Trek offers nonstop iconic Yosemite views of Half Dome, Bridalveil, El Capitan and more. It showcases why Yosemite has earned a reputation as the Disneyland of National Parks, but unlike the lower valley view, it provides a glimpse of the pristine Yosemite that enamored John Muir with its High Sierra magic away from crowds.

I happen to hike a lot with three people who have hiked, literally, all of the trails in Yosemite... and I don't think any of them are aware of this gem. But, I will ask tonight!

This hike is about 28 miles, but I don't remember seeing Half Dome, Bridalveil, or El Cap. More? Well, there was "Jorges" Mountain of course...

Future conversion from the permit office:

Ranger: "What hike would you like a permit for?"
Visitor: "I want to do the Tuolumne Trek!"
Ranger: "The... what?"
Visitor: "The one with the views of Half Dome, Bridalveil, and El Cap"
Ranger: "Hmmm... You mean the Old Big Oak Flat Road or the Pohono Trail or... Rockslides?"
Visitor: "Those don't sound right... Nevermind. I'd like to see the geysers instead."
April 21, 2017 12:37PM
They must know something we don't know....
April 21, 2017 02:36PM
It looks like a re-post of an old OARS blog post (original at https://www.oars.com/blog/16-must-see-national-park-sights-this-year/). Which doesn't help explain what route they are talking about ...
April 21, 2017 02:42PM
How far is Tuolomne Meadows to Happy Isles via the JMT if you add Clouds Rest? Or Tuolomne Meadows - Nevada Falls - GP via Panorama down 4 Mile Trail to add in El Cap Views?
April 21, 2017 07:11PM
The 28-mile "Tuolumne Trek" probably follows the northern and southern branches of the historic "Mono Trail". wink

Leave No Trace
April 21, 2017 07:13PM
In all seriousness, the article is probably referring to this hike (28 miles one-way):

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/tuolumne-meadows-to-yosemite-valley-trail

Leave No Trace
April 21, 2017 09:40PM
Yeah I have heard of the Tuolumne Trek but it doesn't compare to the Chick-on Walk or the Basil Bop.
April 21, 2017 11:59PM
Bearproof
it doesn't compare to the Chick-on Walk

Isn't that also called the manzanita mambo?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2017 04:23AM by eeek.
April 22, 2017 10:57AM
I think the Manzanita Mambo beats the Poison Oak Promenade.
April 22, 2017 02:38PM
Not quite The Geezer, but getting there
I think the Manzanita Mambo beats the Poison Oak Promenade.

It's mostly about the source of the scratching. With one it's the plant; with the other it's the hiker.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login