Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Placing food in food locker for later pick-up

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Placing food in food locker for later pick-up
June 25, 2017 11:43AM
On my upcoming BP trip I will be passing by food lockers midway through the trip. Instead of carrying three days of food during the first part of the trip, will the food be safe (be there) on the day I want to pick it up? I know I run the risk of it not being there. I guess I'm looking if others have done this.

Thanks in Advance

SH
June 25, 2017 12:56PM
Although I've never done exactly what you're asking, I've never had an issue wit storing food in a bear box for several days. I think the lockers are provided for campers in the area, not for "thru hikers" and what you're suggesting may be against park regulations, but my guess is a lot of people do it.
avatar Re: Placing food in food locker for later pick-up
June 25, 2017 09:30PM
The Other Tom
Although I've never done exactly what you're asking, I've never had an issue wit storing food in a bear box for several days. I think the lockers are provided for campers in the area, not for "thru hikers" and what you're suggesting may be against park regulations, but my guess is a lot of people do it.

Depends where the food lockers are located. Food lockers at trailheads are meant for use by day hikers and backpackers alike. Food lockers at campgrounds are the only ones designated for campers. Food lockers at park lodging (like Curry Village and Tuolumne Meadows Lodge) are reserved for those staying overnight at the lodging.

Leave No Trace
June 26, 2017 11:11AM
If you do, it may be worth while leaving a note with pickup date. as I understand things rangers only clear boxes at the end of season, so it should be safe except from people like me (a bit stupid/and/or hungry. a few years back I 'found' 8 bars of pemmican bars in a bear box on the jmt. luckily I ran into the guy who had 'dumped' them, so there wasn't a problem. however, when hikers temporarily leave all their camping equipment in a box with no explanation (jmt-2009), and food is borrowed, it can be embarrassing when they return later on and half the campers have to sheepishly return said food. so just be not only bear aware, but hiker aware also. Feed ME!
June 26, 2017 02:36PM
I've left food in bear lockers with a note as to when I will pick it up several times, both at trailheads and in the backcountry. I have never had a
problem. I have also eaten food from locker that had a note saying the owners would return two weeks prior.

Leave a note with date and time, and hope for the best.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login