Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Middle!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

November 21, 2017 07:11AM
No one was in the Valley over last weekend?

Almost went there instead... but alas... never nuff time

Fri:

Sun:

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Chick-on is looking at you!
November 21, 2017 11:30AM
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Chick-on, where is this? SEKI?
November 22, 2017 05:38AM
Middle ??
Middle fork of the Kaweah ? Or somewhere else ?
November 22, 2017 06:36AM
Middle Tuolumne

Yosemite is where my heart is. It has not been forsaken.

If not impressed with those two before and after...
I could show Vernon outlet... but... you could also go to

halfdome.net

Look in archives

and then look at Yosemite Falls for Thursday Nov 16. Then Nov 17.

click here:
http://archives.halfdome.net/

then pick yosefalls... etc etc

Have fun

and

Happy Thanksgiving!

November 22, 2017 06:39AM
Just on the Nov 16 video you can see just how much water came down and fast!

November 23, 2017 04:52AM
chick-on
Middle Tuolumne

Yosemite is where my heart is. It has not been forsaken.

If not impressed with those two before and after...
I could show Vernon outlet... but... you could also go to

halfdome.net

Look in archives

and then look at Yosemite Falls for Thursday Nov 16. Then Nov 17.

click here:
http://archives.halfdome.net/

then pick yosefalls... etc etc

Have fun

and

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ahhhh....shoulda known. Thanks for the link. Those time lapse movies are way cool. And Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well.
November 26, 2017 11:15AM
tanks chick-on! the time lapses are so kewl.

We got almost a inch of rain over here in the rain shadow...
November 27, 2017 07:32AM
The amount that came down in that storm was... wow!

Made for a great Thanksgiving in the Valley...

Waterfallz were very very nice...

If interested... just how much Falls Creek changed.... click this...

https://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/plotDaily2?staid=FHH&end_date=26-Nov-2017+19:26

Yowza!

November 28, 2017 05:50PM
Happy Thanksgiving! I spent my Thanksgiving week hiking the OCR from the Tioga Road trailhead to the twin bridges. Both bridges are long gone, but would love to see photos of what they looked like when they were still there. All of the old roads intrigue me...

cjh
December 04, 2017 05:25PM
Sorry no action ear.

Was hike-on For Miles, Snow Creek, Indian Canyun, Pannyrama.
All good baby.

I'll assume you mean Old Coulterville Road via Merced Grove from Big Oak Flat Road.

There's a number of old road fans here. Just gotta be careful what you wish for.
The shrub and little pine trees on the old roads can be ... delicious.

Sorry I haven't even seen Twin Bridges without snow. Only been there once... and
everything was covered in about 3 feet of snow.
There's a more interesting story there. Like how useful a snow shovel is to make getting
out of a creek palatable and crossing a huge tree. smiling smiley

Anywho. Have fun

December 05, 2017 03:37PM
The OCR can be a bit of a bear to follow because there are a LOT of Forest Service Roads crossing it. If you went just slightly beyond Twin Bridges, you'd have noticed that when you climb up the embankment there, you end up on a modern paved road that goes both left and right. As nearly as I can tell from old maps, turning left there keeps you on the OCR alignment but if you're doing an out-and-back, make sure you know where to go back down the embankment as there's nothing in the modern road to indicate where it stops being the OCR alignment.

I've not seen old photos of the area (except for pictures of some of the historic "inns" (most of them not much more than the houses of people who were willing to host travellers), the majority of old-road pictures seem to focus on the approach to the valley (I've posted a few of these elsewhere on this site...search for posts under my name from 2 or 3 years ago (or maybe it's 5 or 6? confused smiley ) and you should find them).

FWIW, I've done OCR
  • from Highway 41 to Little Nellie Falls
  • from Mercer Grove TH to a little beyond Twin Bridges (well, technically, the first stretch of the trail is NOT the OCR...where the trail to the Grove starts going downhill to the left is OCR but the continuation of the OCR (in the direction to Coulterville) is what's straight ahead of you before you take that downhill bit)
  • from that point out of the park to a little bit beyond Hazel Green (FWIW, there are a lot of "no trespassing" signs at both ends of the Hazel Green property but that's still a maintained county road so far as I know so not sure they can keep you off the road itself...I saw nobody anywhere on the property as I passed through in each direction).
  • BTW, once you get past the Hazel Green property, the road's still packed dirt but sufficiently maintained that I suspect you can drive to that point from Coulterville if you know which turns to make.

Heading back from Hazel Green to Yosemite, there's a spot almost immediately beyond the HG property where an abandoned road veers off to the left and goes up to a fence with a gate that's marked as the NP boundary. Immediately on the other side of the fence, the road disappears into the kind of overgrowth with which you frequently need to contend if you're hiking the Old Wawona Road. I'm not sure if this was some kind of service road or an earlier alignment of the OCR.

Things get further complicated in the area west of Big Meadow because, in addition to newer FS roads, you have an earlier alignment of the OCR (it originally was going to meet up with what became the OBOFR until the Mercer Grove was discovered and then they re-routed that way). In fact, it's entirely possible that that stretch of trail from the MG TH to the point where you go downhill is a modernized version of this earlier alignment). I've not researched it much but I believe there's also a connecting road that went from the OCR to the OBOFR in this area. I think a couple of the other old-road junkies here have traversed that section (and I vaguely recall chick-on posting some annotated maps of some of that mess several years ago).
April 11, 2018 09:34PM
Saturday...

April 11, 2018 09:39PM
As for South Fork... volume of water looked more on 22nd Mar than last storm...

But Falls Creek... wow! ... Scary...

If you are thinking Rancheria... uh... the bridge got whacked again...

wonder if this works...

https://cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlotServlet.jsp?sensor_no=27881&end=04%2F11%2F2018+21%3A36&geom=huge&interval=200&cookies=CDEC01

April 14, 2018 06:12PM
Uh, yeah that worked...and wow...twice the amount of water compared to last November. Got any more pictures?

(that is a rhetorical question...I know you do!)

Would love to see them!
April 16, 2018 04:26PM
Check this out:

From the Day the Valley Flooded 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUQW5ylIaxE

And

From the Week After ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZf52fRz7ho

No like videos?

Sorry

Really busy
tongue sticking out smiley

April 17, 2018 07:53AM
Impressive!

And I'm assuming the second video is from 20180415... because if it's from 20180715 that's really, REALLY impressive!

I'll definitely have to add the confluence of the South and Middle Tuolumne Rivers to my ever-growing list of hiking destinations. I assume you park on Old Big Oak Flat Road and walk down from there?

Thanks for sharing these.
April 17, 2018 09:24AM
Ooopsie... I fixed that. Thanks!

It's not inside Yosemite. It's outside near Rainbow Pool off The 120.
smiling smiley

Here:
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=37.827885,-120.020565&z=15&t=t4

You can take the Rainbow Pool exit after going by Rim of The World View ...
and loop around or take Cherry Lake Road and turn left immediately and park here:
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=37.824902,-120.014772&z=15&t=t4

It's a forest service road in great shape. You have to walk it. We swear it used to
say No Trespassing (due to Hetch Hetchy Mountain Tunnel making an appearance
undoubtedly ... (no longer true)) but it no longer says that.

Enjoy

(you'll like Rainbow Pool too more than likely)

smiling smiley

April 19, 2018 07:27AM
Love the videos, thanks!
May 01, 2018 07:12AM
Keeping on the theme...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn1PbkhVA-M

Simple hike ... smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login