Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Gear repair company suggestions?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Gear repair company suggestions?
November 29, 2017 04:01PM
Hello all!

Regrettably my zipper failed on my winter jacket and was hoping to get it repaired within a reasonable amount of time (nothing under 2 weeks for sure). Anyone have any suggestions? There is rainy pass but damn...cost of shipping + $89 per hour is hefty!

Thanks!
Kevin
November 29, 2017 06:44PM
Who makes the jacket? Some manufacturers offer inexpensive repairs on gear--we've had good experiences with Western Mountaineering and Big Agnes, but I've heard that a lot of the other "big names" have similar policies.

Also, what is the failure? If it's just that the slider doesn't zip the teeth together but the zipper teeth and backing material are otherwise OK (no missing teeth, etc.), you could try:

1) Gently squeeze the slider with a pair of pliers. This is at best a temporary field repair.
2) Amazon has inexpensive ($10) screw-on replacement zippers (Fix N Zip) that allow installing a new slider w/o having to do any stitching. The main downside is the old slider will still be installed.
3) A local shop that does tailoring/clothing repairs should be able to replace the slider, or you can even do this yourself with some hand stitching.
November 29, 2017 07:14PM
Hey BP!

Thanks for the suggestions! Regrettably a section of the zipper teeth is completely ripped off so looks like it'll need a complete overhaul. I actually contacted the mfg (Rab) and was quoted $40 for a replacement (side pocket zipper). Would you say that's reasonable?
avatar Re: Gear repair company suggestions?
November 30, 2017 11:42AM
I've never had the need to use them, but over on backpackinglight.com the company recommended by far for gear repair is Rainy Pass Repair. They specialize in backpacking equipment.

EDIT: Oops, would help if I read the entire original post =P

- Billy Joel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2017 11:43AM by JRinGeorgia.
November 30, 2017 11:40PM
You might want to try checking with the manufacturer/brand again for warranty as a different CSR might have a different response. Arcteryx replaced a zipper on my fleece and this is also standard for some other brands, I just paid for one side shipping. Rainy Pass (based out of Seattle) does an excellent job and if I was in your shoes, I will double check with the manufacturer again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login