Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Lower Cathedral Lake and 10,450?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Lower Cathedral Lake and 10,450?
June 19, 2018 01:16PM
Was at TM campground last weekend and did a couple of simple day hikes. Here are some pics and a follow-up question smiling smiley

Conditions were perfect with balmy 60s during the day. Mosquitos were pesky on the Cathedral trail and unbearable on the approach to the lower Cathedral Lake. Water wasn't too cold for a quick dip smiling smiley

From the west side of lower Cathedral lake

Outlet of lower Cathedral lake

View from close to the top of peak 10,450

Is this peak 10,450 or the north side of Tresidder? I had to turn back from this point as the other two hikers were waiting 500' down. They were getting eaten by mosquitos and more importantly, I had told them that I'll be back in 45 mins. Did end up at some class 3 on the way up and coming back was almost all class 2.

Sunset from Lembert Dome

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2018 01:24PM by nwhkr.
avatar Re: Lower Cathedral Lake and 10,450?
June 19, 2018 01:39PM
Yes that's 10,450

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 19, 2018 03:13PM
chick-on
Yes that's 10,450
๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ
Looks airy! That also means that I have some unfinished business smiling smiley. I was with some friends who werenโ€™t comfortable and I am glad that they stopped lower down. I still had around 250โ€™ to go from this spot.

Do you lower down and approach it from the left-east side and then traverse to south side for that last 30โ€™-50โ€™?
avatar Re: Lower Cathedral Lake and 10,450?
June 20, 2018 11:46AM
nwhkr
chick-on
Yes that's 10,450
๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ
Looks airy! That also means that I have some unfinished business smiling smiley. I was with some friends who werenโ€™t comfortable and I am glad that they stopped lower down. I still had around 250โ€™ to go from this spot.

Do you lower down and approach it from the left-east side and then traverse to south side for that last 30โ€™-50โ€™?

I haven't gone that-a-way. I've only gone up via the ridge from Upper Cathedral. Pretty much it's hands in pocketz.

YMMV

i.e.
this ridge:
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=37.838204,-119.423525&z=15&t=t4

ez pz

Though I like what you went for.

Looks ez from here. tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 21, 2018 09:35AM
chick-on
I haven't gone that-a-way. I've only gone up via the ridge from Upper Cathedral. Pretty much it's hands in pocketz.
this ridge:
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=37.838204,-119.423525&z=15&t=t4

Nice! Thanks a tonne for the info, that totally makes sense.
Yeah I had fun with the route with more than a few spots that required hands on the terra ferma winking smiley. Last bit of my approach was slightly exposed, especially as I was solo at that time. Might try your route at the end of the month. Debating whether to do 10,450 and give it a shot to Tresidder or do Hoffman and Tuolumne as I haven't even been to the May lake. I'll be at B on the last weekend of June.
June 19, 2018 03:30PM
Heading up to TM for two nights this weekend with my youngest two kids so glad to see everything looks clear. Goals are Elizabeth Lake (Fri), Dog Lake and Lembert Dome (Sat).
June 19, 2018 10:43PM
Great! Let me know if you need any other trail info. BE prepared for mosquitos during the hike as well as at the campsite.
June 20, 2018 08:43AM
Were the mosquito really bad in TM campground? Manageable?
June 20, 2018 09:16AM
Very manageable at the TM campground. We were at the group campsite and they might be a bit more pesky if your campsite is close to water - lyell fork/Tuolumne river
June 20, 2018 02:48AM
My son and I just got back from TM last night after a two night stay. We did Elizabeth Lake on Sunday. Every time that I had been there before, mosquitoes chewed me up. This time, only a couple of bites(I wore shorts).

For Monday's hike, we chose Mono Pass over Lower Cathedral lake. After hearing about the mosquitoes, I'm glad we chose that way. It was my first time doing Mono Pass. That was really a nice hike. My son(age 20, +1day) loved it.
June 20, 2018 04:08AM
Thanks for the nice pictures.

I am really concerned that the Sierra Nevada already looks bonedry.

I am following some hikers on Youtube that are on the PCT and although there is some snow on the passes in the section between Kennedy Meadows and Tuolumne Meadows it looks really bad (and of course nothing compared to last year).
One of the hikers just was on top of Mt. Whitney a few days ago and the 360ยฐ view show mostly bare rocks and little snow on top of the highest peaks. sad smiley
July 05, 2018 11:05AM
Can you describe the condition of the trail from the trailhead and the spur trail to lower Cathedral? There was quite a lot of water last July. Thanks.
July 07, 2018 11:29PM
The main trail to Cathedral lakes and the spur trail to LC are both fine, should be straightforward by this time. There were a couple of muddy spots on the main trail 3 weeks back and they should be all gone by now. Even 3 weeks back, it was easy to sidetrack such spots. It was a very different story on Memorial day weekend (probably similar to last July), especially on the spur trail.
Happy Trails!
July 08, 2018 09:00AM
Thank you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login