Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (62% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Does Rafferty Creek dry up this time of year?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Does Rafferty Creek dry up this time of year?
September 28, 2023 05:09PM
I'm hiking from TM to Happy Isles via Rafferty Creek this weekend. I see that I'm hiking along water sources every bit of the way. I'm only planning on carrying two 500ml of water with me and topping off along the hike. I was just curious to see if Rafferty Creek or Fletcher Creek had water year round. I can do the spur trails to the lakes along the way if needed. I haven't been up there this time of year.

TIA
September 28, 2023 05:20PM
Second question, would you continue down Fletcher Creek to Merced Lake or go over the pass and down through Lewis Creek? and why (other than elevation)?
September 29, 2023 05:25AM
Rafferty can dry up this time of year, but maybe this year there will still be some flow due to the large snowpack from last season. Maybe you'll get a first hand report.
BTW, be mindful of the weather. Snow is predicted this weekend. see the link below.
https://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,98566
October 12, 2023 11:12AM
That sounds like a great hike! Rafferty Creek and Fletcher Creek typically have water year-round, but it can vary depending on the weather and the time of year. Since you'll be hiking in the spring, you should be in good shape for water sources.
November 09, 2023 02:45PM
Post hike thoughts:

We came down Lewis Creek. It added some elevation and distance to an already big day but it was spectacular! Amazing views! Water was a non-issue. There were plenty of water all the way to the valley. It had rained a couple days before but the water sources looked to be available year round. The distance was fine, but I severely underestimated the elevation loss. I was sore the whole week after.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2023 02:47PM by DantheMan.
November 10, 2023 05:32AM
Glad you had a good hike. Thanks for the follow up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login