Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Trip Report: TM -> Young Lakes -> Glen Aulin -> TM

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Trip Report: TM -> Young Lakes -> Glen Aulin -> TM
September 29, 2023 03:23PM
Took my son's scout troop on a two night trek to Young Lakes and Glen Aulin last week. After driving four hours on Saturday morning from near sea-level in the Bay Area to Tuolumne Meadows, we ate lunch beneath Lembert Dome before throwing on our packs and heading up to Young Lakes. The trek in was pretty tough, and between the altitude and the fact that I neglected to eat anything during the hike, I was struggling at the end. Fortunately, we all got to Lower Young Lake safely and set up camp. The struggle was definitely worth it, as the views of Mount Conness and Ragged Peak were flat-out amazing.

Looking back toward Tuolumne Meadows while hiking up to Young Lakes. Mts. Lyell, Maclure, and Gibbs all visible. That might even be Banner Peak and Mount Ritter way off on the horizon.

Alpenglow on Mount Conness.

The moon rises as we hope for an off-season visit by St. Nick.

Sunday morning the thermometer registered a chilly 24 degrees, and we had to shake a lot of frost off the outside -- and in some cases the inside -- of our rain flys. The hike from Young Lakes down to Glen Aulin was thankfully almost all downhill, as I was still feeling the effects of the previous day's exertion. We hiked through forests much of the way, but occasionally got nice views of the Cathedral Range and then the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne. The scouts rejoiced when they learned the pit toilets at the backpackers' camp were open. The bridge over Conness Creek is missing the railing on the upstream side, likely a casualty of high runoff from this winter's snowpack. The shuttered High Sierra Camp is also looking a bit rough, with a tree having fallen onto one of the buildings.

Morning sun on Lower Young Lake and Ragged Peak.

Glimpse of the Cathedral Range as we hike toward Glen Aulin.

Tuolumne Falls.

Monday was our return to Tuolumne Meadows. The scouts, driven by the promise of pizza in Groveland on our drive home, got an early start and were back at the base of Lembert Dome in under three hours.

Looking northeast up Cold Canyon as we hike back up from Glen Aulin to Tuolumne Meadows. Anyone know if that is Whorl Mountain off in the distance?

Hiking along the river at the edge of Tuolumne Meadows.

Returning to Lembert Dome. Another trek in the books!

All in all, a fun and challenging trek for the scouts (and me!) Glad we got it in before the storms that are forecast for this coming weekend. Now the focus shifts to planning more Yosemite treks for 2024.
September 29, 2023 10:13PM
That's a great hike for scouts. And kudos to you for taking them out there. Boy, that air looks clear! Thanks for giving us a look at one the best parts of the park during one of the best times of the year!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
September 30, 2023 11:17AM
Love this TR, thanks for posting.
March 14, 2024 05:04PM
Your trip report is truly inspiring! Taking your son's scout troop on a trek to Young Lakes and Glen Aulin must have been an incredible bonding experience. Despite the challenges of altitude and a tough hike, the breathtaking views of Mount Conness and Ragged Peak made every step worth it. It's amazing how nature's beauty can uplift us, isn't it? If you ever plan a trip to the UK, there are countless incredible experiences awaiting you.
Check out the extensive list of the best things to do in the UK for some fantastic ideas. Whether you're into exploring historical landmarks, enjoying scenic hikes, or immersing yourself in vibrant cultural experiences, the UK has something for everyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2024 03:36AM by HeidiHahn.
March 14, 2024 05:44PM
Looks like a very successful trip. I hope the scouts realize how lucky they are to have someone willing to give them this opportunity, and to have such incredible beauty within reach for a long weekend.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login