Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Transport to Mono Meadow TH

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Transport to Mono Meadow TH
November 07, 2023 08:43AM
I am taking my son on a tour of the Merced Headwaters (L Ottoway Lk, Red Pass, Lyell Fork). We are leaving a car in the valley. We need transportation to the Mono Meadow TH. I called the tour bus info line but this was way less than helpful. So a simple question: If requested, would the Glacier Point Tour Buss stop at Mono Meadow?

Can anybody help,

-Ken
November 07, 2023 08:52AM
When are you planning on going? GP Road will likely be closing for the season fairly soon (in fact, eeek just posted yesterday that it is being "temporarily" closed now in anticipation of a winter storm)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2023 08:54AM by DavidK42.
November 07, 2023 10:40AM
Gee... that might be an important piece of information:

August

-Thx
November 08, 2023 06:31AM
Yes. If the road is open, and if the bus is running, you can ask the drive to let you off at the Mono Meadow trailhead.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
November 08, 2023 06:37AM
There are others on this board who have more experience with those buses than do I (and apparently one of them posted a response while I was typing mine! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out) but I'd be inclined to say that it depends on the driver (which, unfortunately, makes it hard to plan on!).

One other thing to consider is whether or not they've completed the planned construction along the GP Road (I just took a quick look at the NPS/yose website and didn't see anything about this)...Anybody else know about this?

As a plan B, you could take the Four Mile Trail from the Valley up to GP and then either hike back to the Mono TH or take the Panorama Trail down to the Illouette Basin and follow the trail along the river back to where it hooks up with the Mono Meadow Trail. This has the added advantage of being able to start as early as you want (it's been many years since I last road one of those tour buses but my recollection is that they don't start running until about 9am).

You could also park at Tunnel View and take the Pohono Trail towards GP. I'd have to check a map to remind myself which exit point (either McGurk Meadow or Taft Point) would get you closest to the Mono Meadow TH but I think this would be a significantly longer trek than going up the Four Mile Trail.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2023 11:56AM by DavidK42.
November 08, 2023 08:15AM
Thanks. It appears that if requested drivers will stop at Mono Meadow TH but are even more likely to stop at Taft Point. Being dropped off at Taft Point is not perfect but very acceptable. Options of hike UP 4 Mile or even out of Happy Isles is not really an option as the decades has taken a toll. Massive steep uphills with a full pack is the adventure of ones much younger than I. As far as I can find, Glacier Point Road will be open this coming season but no one has found an official statement.

Backpacking Yosemite with your son,
How good does it get?

Thanks all

-Ken
November 09, 2023 05:31AM
Greyhkr
Backpacking Yosemite with your son,
How good does it get?
-Ken
Exactly. Good times!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login