Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Camping allowed on or near N Dome or Yosemite Pt?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Camping allowed on or near N Dome or Yosemite Pt?
January 17, 2010 02:44PM
Looking to do the North Rim trail on Memorial Day weekend. Is camping allowed on or near N Dome or Yosemite Pt? I know conditions will vary from year to year but any idea what conditions might look like up there that time of year? Any issues with stream crossings? Looks like we'd be crossing ribbon, yosemite, and lehamite creek. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!!
avatar Re: Camping allowed on or near N Dome or Yosemite Pt?
January 17, 2010 02:48PM
Camp anywhere you want but try to be 100 feet from the trail or any waterway. Be sure to have a wilderness permit.

Old Dude
January 17, 2010 02:59PM
I'd concur with Mike. The basic recommendation is to be 100 feet away from any trail or water source. They also recommend using a "previously impacted site" although that is not a rule that can be enforced. For obvious resource protection reasons, they would prefer that people not consistently create new wilderness campsites. Store your food properly and away from your site.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildregs.htm

However - there is an out if you can't find another campsite. There are certain places where it can be crowded, and there are previously used sites that don't conform to the 100 foot recommendation.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/parkmgmt/upload/compendium.pdf

• Camping is prohibited in the following areas:

• Within 100 feet of a trail, flowing stream, river or any body of water, unless designated,
and as follows: Camping is permitted within 100 feet of a stream, trail or body of water
provided that a well established campsite exists and terrain permits no other options. In
no case will camping be permitted within 25 feet of a stream, trail or body of water.
January 17, 2010 05:08PM
DanTheMan,
Where are you planning to start and end your trip? That will have an impact what water you have to cross and whether or not there is a footbridge available.

Old Dude
January 17, 2010 05:54PM
I highly recommend you buy the National Geographic Yosemite National Park Map.
This will take the question out of whether you can camp at a specific spot or not.
If there are additional requirements they will normally be listed on your permit or
the issuing ranger will let you know them. They recently started asking where you will
be camping so you'd find out then too.
To my understanding in direct reponse to your question:
NO - You cannot camp at Yosemite Point
YES - You can camp on North Dome
Now someone may come back and say "you can camp there I did" but my
recommendation is to just go by the NG Map.
Lehamite should never be too much an issue to cross.
Ribbon probably isn't too much danger crossing... never crossed it that early but
I don't recall it being mentioned as ever much of an issue.
Memorial Day is always busy...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2010 05:55PM by bill-e-g.
January 17, 2010 06:02PM
Sage advice.

Old Dude
January 17, 2010 07:14PM
bill-e-g
NO - You cannot camp at Yosemite Point
YES - You can camp on North Dome
Now someone may come back and say "you can camp there I did" but my
recommendation is to just go by the NG Map.

I took a quick look at my NGTI map and you're right. Yosemite Point is in the area marked off-limits to camping. I'm looking at it, and it does appear to be within 4 miles of the Upper Yosemite Fall Trailhead, and camping isn't allowed within 4 trail miles of any Yosemite Valley trailhead. It should be possible to camp maybe a mile away.
January 18, 2010 05:56AM
Although camping is allowed on North Dome I think 100' off the trail is going to be a bit slopey. Perhaps just north of North Dome in the saddle area would be better.
January 18, 2010 09:58AM
Thanks for the quick responses! I'm thinking we're gonna be staying somewhere near N Dome. This would be our last night. Looking at the map, looks like it'd be a good distance from the valley to do in one day. We'll be coming out the snow creek th via mirror lake.

Any idea what to expect conditions wise? I'm expecting snow on some places and wet trails. Any mosquitoes?
January 21, 2010 04:57PM
Good expectations. I have encountered mosquitoes at that time of year but mainly in wet areas that are protected from the wind. The exposed areas were no prob. Snow shouldn't be too much of a problem but you will probably see some here and there. Swollen creeks will be plentiful, though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login