Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Hikers update from June 14-June 18

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hikers update from June 14-June 18
June 18, 2010 05:42PM
I just got back from Yosemite and found the snow conditions for the High Country to be incompatible for current hiking unless you're experienced with route finding and snow hiking. I checked out the trail conditions for Cathedral Lakes, Ten Lakes, Young Lakes and Clouds Rest. Postholing began quickly on all the hikes except Young Lakes and Ten Lakes, where I was able to go about 1.5 miles until the snow made route finding capabilities mandatory.

I have been coming to Yosemite to hike an average of 60 days a year since 1984. I have not seen snow conditions like this in YEARS.

However, Four Mile Trail, Nevada Falls and the trails in the Valley are free of snow and doable.
June 18, 2010 06:14PM
Interesting. Report from a group last weekend for Sunrise to Clouds Rest said minimal post holing but confirmed the route finding issue. Warmer weather contribute to more postholing in that time frame?

I'm going that way and then up the JMT through Cathedral Lakes area mid next week (6/23-27). If I need to rent snow shoes would be good to know now. smiling smiley
avatar Re: Hikers update from June 14-June 18
June 18, 2010 09:02PM
I'll give you my take when I get back Sunday night or Monday morning.

In 2006 HSCs didn't open. TM Store didn't open until July.
Lots o lakes still frozen over on July 4. Raging Rivers in July...
June 18, 2010 11:33PM
Cool, thanks.
June 19, 2010 09:03AM
There's no question that this year is far worse than 2006 in terms of trail conditions and lingering snow. I was able to do Clouds Rest on June 21, 2006 with no problem except for the initial water crossing 2 minutes into the hike (then it went up to my lower chest). Based on what I saw last week, 2010 is epic in lingering snow compared to 2006. sad smiley
June 20, 2010 03:49PM
Perhaps. I only know what we hiked in. And I have pictures. That's what I'm going from.
And also going from snow pack data....

Anyway, it doesn't matter. There's a boat-a-load o snow still there.

DO NOT BRING SNOWSHOES! SUN CUPS GALORE!!!!

Just hike on top of the snow... you won't posthole much but... if you haven't hiked in sun cups...
you're in for a treat.... maybe I'll put up a pict later to give you an idea.

When I got my permit the ranger said Vog. had sun cups as far as the eye could see.
Once she said that I knew that unless you're fat bastard you're not gonna posthole...
and ... snowshoes are useless...
June 20, 2010 05:18PM
bill-e-g
if you haven't hiked in sun cups...
you're in for a treat....

They do slow one down a tad.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login