Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Mt. Whitney

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Mt. Whitney
September 01, 2011 03:17PM
As noted in my trip report my recent hike and inspired my father and I to plan a Mt. Whitney Summit trip. We would plan on a dayhike. In searching and planning for my other hike I came across a couple Whitney Portal sites but now not sure where they are.

Can someone make a couple suggestions for research into Mt. Whitney trips before I do a bunch of searching? After I do the research, I'll come back and solicit advice from this outstanding group of advice givers. I am finally back home today after my last hike and trip and already trying to figure out when I will be back.
September 01, 2011 03:24PM
chicagocwright
As noted in my trip report my recent hike and inspired my father and I to plan a Mt. Whitney Summit trip. We would plan on a dayhike. In searching and planning for my other hike I came across a couple Whitney Portal sites but now not sure where they are.

Can someone make a couple suggestions for research into Mt. Whitney trips before I do a bunch of searching? After I do the research, I'll come back and solicit advice from this outstanding group of advice givers. I am finally back home today after my last hike and trip and already trying to figure out when I will be back.

Register to the "Message Board" (i.e., forum) accessible from this webpage:
http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/
September 01, 2011 03:30PM
The Whitney Zone forums are a good source for information in regards to Mt. Whitney.

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/
September 01, 2011 04:03PM
Did you look at the links at the bottom of the page you are reading right now?
September 01, 2011 04:04PM
acclimation, acclimation, acclimation

us sea level humans do not cooperate with such drastic change in altitude in one day

As a rookie, I tried going from 0 to 10,500 in one day and altitude sickness hit me HARD.

my next trip will definitely consist of acclimating for 2 days at whitney portal camp.
September 02, 2011 03:04PM
sactown23

us sea level humans do not cooperate with such drastic change in altitude in one day

As a rookie, I tried going from 0 to 10,500 in one day and altitude sickness hit me HARD.

my next trip will definitely consist of acclimating for 2 days at whitney portal camp.

Try having this a week before you go... every morning...it'll help (sorry can't hot link for some reason)

http://www.iherb.com/Herbs-Etc-ChlorOxygen-Alcohol-Free-1-fl-oz-29-5-ml/15873?at=0
September 02, 2011 03:29PM
rroland
Try having this a week before you go... every morning...it'll help (sorry can't hot link for some reason)

http://www.iherb.com/Herbs-Etc-ChlorOxygen-Alcohol-Free-1-fl-oz-29-5-ml/15873?at=0

looks interesting

have you had any experience with it?
September 04, 2011 03:45PM
sactown23
rroland

looks interesting

have you had any experience with it?

yup, my 29 y/o was getting sick to his stomach and wobbly kneed on the last stretch to Cloud's..I was fine...use it every am.....
September 04, 2011 03:57PM
rroland

September 04, 2011 06:41PM
rroland
sactown23

There is a lot of variation in individual responses to altitude. There is no reproducible scientific support for herbal remedies or herbal prevention (including Ginko) of the various types of altitude related medical problems (altitude headache, acute mountain sickness, pulmonary edema, cerebral edema). Analgesics, low dose acetazolamide with or without dexamethazone with hydration is the current standard medical management for those at risk. Consult your physician to determine the safest personal option for taking these prescription medications. Full acclimatization to altitude is a complex process that takes many days and is only stimulated by elevations over about 5000 ft. Going from 4000 to 8000 for example could be a problem for some people (lot of genetic, age, and circumstance variation).

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
September 01, 2011 04:06PM
Ha! I've never looked at any of those links before---never made it that far down the page. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.
September 01, 2011 08:46PM
You must not think that it's just a long day hike.

It's all about the altitude. Unless you've done a lot a 10K+ altitude hikes, you DON'T know what you're getting yourself into.

Some people won't even notice it.
Others die from it. Yes! People have died on Mt Whitney just from the altitude.

Read posts on both boards
Read the FAQs on whitneyzone
Hang out on the boards and follow what's going on between now and your trip
Keep a close eye on what's going on right before your trip, in particular the weather
Plan on starting the hike EARLY so that you get to the summit by noon or 1pm at the latest. The reason is thunderstorms tend to form after that.
Just like with Half Dome, on Mt Whitney you don't want to be near the summit if there's any clouds nearby that might result in lightning
Head back down if the weather turns
Pick a turn-back time. No matter where you are, not matter what you're doing, head back at that time!
Don't get get-to-the-top-of-the-peak fever. Getting to the top isn't important, getting back down IS! Don't hesitate to turn back.
Play attention to hydration and electrolyte balance
Consider bringing rain gear, even if just a paper thin poncho
Consider what you'll need to keep warm. It gets a lot colder as you go up, and if it's windy ( it's almost always windy up there ) you'll need it even more
Bring a head lamp, even if you think you'll be back before dark
Hope for the best, plan for the worst
Leave No Trace! Use the Wag Bag if you have to, and pack it and the TP out
If you find any trash that some deadbeats have left up there, consider packing some/all of it out.
Take lots of pictures! smiling smiley

I know that day hiking Mt Whitney is more than I could ever do.
I backpack it, and make it a 4+ day trip, one day to Outpost Camp, one short day to Trail Camp ( Consultation Lake area is nice ), one or more days to do things, one day out.
It's what I can handle, and gives time for acclimation to the altitude
September 02, 2011 07:09PM
Whitney is a lot like Half Dome, in that it is such a popular destination that it is subject to a quota/permit system during most of the year...while other peaks and areas nearby are similarly scenic yet mostly devoid of visitors. That said, it makes for a memorable journey. I've spent the night on the summit and there is something special in watching the sunset and the sunrise from the 48's highest point.

Depending on what you may be up for, the Mountaineer's Route is a wonderful alternative to the main trail - more direct and much less traveled. It does require some routefinding and class 3 scrambling skills, but no special equipment during the summer months.

To reiterate what others have already mentioned, altitude and acclimatization is the overriding concern. Use good judgment.

The Whitney Portal Store message board is loaded with information and frequented by local experts similar to those here.

Best of luck!
September 05, 2011 03:27PM
There is a lot of great information on this thread so far and will re-visit it and the Mt. Whitney research in a few weeks. Until then I will be pre-occupied with a newly planned trip back to Yosemite at the end of this month! I'm joining Wickett on one of his plans so I need to devote some time to that trip and come back to next years Mt. Whitney trip later. Thank you everyone for your posts so far.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login