Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: May Lake Trailhead

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May Lake Trailhead
May 21, 2012 09:45AM
The May Lake Trailhead is a bit west of Tenaya Lake at Snow Creek, correct? I understand that the parking area is down an old, broken up road. Is this road passable? I don't have 4 wheel drive or high clearance. Is there a better route?
May 21, 2012 10:35AM
Any car can get to the trailhead up that road...if it's open. It tends to open later than Tioga Pass Rd proper.

I'll bet some folks here will chime in with some first hand knowledge very soon.

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
Re: May Lake Trailhead
May 21, 2012 11:21AM
The May Lake/Snow Flat road appeared to be open this weekend (May 19th)--that is, I didn't see the closed gate from the Tioga Road while driving by.
May 21, 2012 08:19PM
It's as good as the roads to Tamarack Flat Campground, Yosemite Creek Campground, White Wolf Campground, Crane Flat Lookout, and other stuff too. Don't give it a thought.

Old Dude
May 22, 2012 12:52AM
I believe it's a section of the original Tioga Road. What remains of it continues on down to Tenaya Lake ( not drivable! ).

This is the old alignment. The new one is the current road that goes past Olmsted Point and gives the snow plows fits due to the major avalanche zone it passes through

As I remember, it's an easy drive on fully paved road surface to the trailhead.
May 23, 2012 09:59AM
The May Lake road was closed as of yesterday.

Chris
May 23, 2012 11:59AM
Mom
s this road passable?

I've driven a Prius on it with no problems.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login