Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

Tuolumne Campground

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tuolumne Campground
August 02, 2012 02:58PM
Just spent 5 nights at the campground. Excellent. Year after year it never changes.Best campground around.
Seems like everybody that camps there has been camping there for many years.
Not crowded during the day, the water was cold but good for a dip. Store well stocked.
Even had a huge bear one night. Scared some, but most used to it.
Re: Tuolumne Campground
August 02, 2012 03:46PM
Also just spent 5 nights in Tuolumne. Not as rave reviews for our site. Very dusty as we were next to the camp road. One way, but many people insisted on driving the wrong way. Sites were overcrowded (too many people per site) putting a strain on the restroom availability.

Fabulous base camp, though. Nights were refreshingly cool.

Friday was at least 1/3 empty...people made reservations 5 months ago and decided to stay home for the Olympics???

Folks were swimming everywhere...lakes and river.
August 02, 2012 03:56PM
Read your comment on how crowded the sites are. I find that the further you get from the River/Front Entrance/Facilities, the better the sites are.
August 02, 2012 04:19PM
Wow, I have to respectfully disagree. I think TM campground is one of the worse ones I've ever seen in the Yosemite area (Curry Village is ever worse). Check out Coldwater campground in Mammoth (or any of the campgrounds in the Lakes Basin). Those are the gold standard of any campsites anywhere near Yosemite.

I do think the restrooms at TM campground are nice.

Just my .05 cents. smiling smiley
August 02, 2012 05:02PM
Ulysses61
Wow, I have to respectfully disagree. I think TM campground is one of the worse ones I've ever seen in the Yosemite area (Curry Village is ever worse).

Note: Curry Village isn't a campground. You can't pitch a tent at Curry, let alone stay in a RV.
August 02, 2012 08:47PM
Stayed at TM last year for the first time. It is a very rustic campground, sites are unlevel, parking even worse, roads are badly eroding, it's really not in very good shape. Frankly, I find the valley campgrounds nicer. The only thing TM has going for it is location.
August 02, 2012 09:24PM
I mentioned earlier...they seem to have filled in many of the road holes this year w/ gravel, and many (not all) sites now have newly-installed compacted parking pads and not-compacted tent pads. Still some rustic ones, but from what I saw I'm guessing they preferentially assign tent campers w/ Subies to the less improved ones and vehicle campers to the more improved ones.
August 03, 2012 03:25PM
Guess I like rustic, cooler temps in summer and nicer air and a nice river.

I never go near the valley in the summer. The heat, the people, the smog just isn't my style.

You can always move to another site at TM. I have never had a problem doing so.

Sounds like some people should stay at a hotel.
August 05, 2012 09:28PM
Tuolumne Trails have been focusing on offering wilderness camping experience for Northern California children and adults with special medical needs. Tuolumne Trails is eager to partner with organizations and families to set up a camp experience to suit a particular group. They may be able to connect several families to form a group that could attend camp together.Also camping groups are expected to bring their own dedicated staff of professionals, medical staff, and programs tailored to the needs of their campers.

West Fork Trail the most popular trail on the Coconino National Forest
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login