Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Glen Aulin and Falls Ridge

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Glen Aulin and Falls Ridge
June 14, 2013 07:06PM
I only saw a few topics on Falls Ridge, so I figured I should post up some pictures and a trip report for the area. It's a place with a great, unique view of some of Yosemite's major peaks. It's also almost untouched by bootprints (and I hope this post doesn't totally change that).

We walked the trail out to McGee Lake after spending a night at Glen Aulin. From there, we walked off the trail onto the end of Falls Ridge. We descended into the Cathedral Creek Canyon, staying as high and right as possible. From there, we climbed up onto Falls Ridge, from which we could see down into Glen Aulin and out toward Tuolumne Meadows. The storms came in, and we headed back for camp, saving LeConte Falls for another day.

One of the summits along Falls Ridge

The canyon through which Cathedral Creek flows. Falls Ridge is to the right of the picture.

Storm clouds over the Tuolumne Meadows area

Glen Aulin from the top of Falls Ridge

The storm was building over Tuolumne Meadows as we got to the summit of Falls Ridge

Sunset at Glen Aulin after the rain clouds lightened up

This was an awesome area to check out. I've never seen the peaks of Tuolumne Meadows from that perspective before. There were also no people in the entire vicinity of Cathedral Creek by Falls Ridge. There were some great spots on which someone could pitch a tent. The mosquitos were out with a vengeance, so use that DEET if you're so inclined. Here's a trip report and some more pictures.

My Trip Blog
avatar Re: Glen Aulin and Falls Ridge
June 17, 2013 07:00AM
Truly one of my favorite areas in the park. Just some amazing domes and glacial action and views galore.
Pretty sure posted a couple of trips... one of west traverse... and one of east traverse...

Anywho... kewl man...

You may get a kick out of these (seriously took a bazillion faux toes)

Ewe were ear:

From The Big Red Dome:

Have fun Id-ing da Domes of Tuolumne area:

You camped over there:

Nice bag o chips.

My advice for you young whipper snapper... invest in some hike-on sticks... guessing you don't use them...
as you discover just how great the off z trail stuff is... you'll find out having sticks to help you along the way
is invaluable.. they will save your knees greatly too.. I wouldn't really have wanted to do the eastern
traverse with the drop down into Glen Aulin w/o them.

Have fun
Chick-on is looking at you!

Re: Glen Aulin and Falls Ridge
June 17, 2013 03:23PM
Thanks for the advice! I did see some of your info on the area. Your pictures are spectacular. I've got to go back on a nicer day. It'd be nice to do a traverse, whether the entire ridge or just a part of it. Seems like it gets dicey in places.

My Trip Blog
avatar Re: Glen Aulin and Falls Ridge
June 19, 2013 08:47AM
When first went there had grand idea of doing the entire traverse (which means doing it twice...
since we camped in the middle)... It takes a lot longer than you may think... lots of up and
downs and stuff to navigate around and thru. The west side is easier than the east but
has the initial shrub you have to bust thru. There's some steep stuff on the west but I really
feel it's class 2... whereas the east side definitely has some class 3 stuff. Since the water
was so low last year... I just dropped down to Glen Aulin proper from Big Red Dome...
def. class 3 goodness.. with some route finding fun.
Hope you can explore it again someday. It has some incredible granite fins and some of
the whitest granite you will find in the Sierra imo.

To tempt you to do it... how about a photosynth?
http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=d2a8189a-739a-4290-ba7d-d378a5928f17

Have fun

Re: Glen Aulin and Falls Ridge
June 17, 2013 04:37PM
Dangerous area due to many granite cliffs and class 3/4 steep slabs but there is a class 2 route if one carefully navigates by having done topo homework. chick-on figured it out without have to do his chicken flying. One does not have to traverse the ridge top. Probably go back there some June of a bigger winter.

http://www.davidsenesac.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login