Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Day hike to Clouds Rest. Permit required?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Day hike to Clouds Rest. Permit required?
August 20, 2013 08:59PM
I will be doing a day hike from Tuolumne HSC to CR in early September. Do I need a permit for that? It will be a group of six of us doing an out and back in one day.
August 20, 2013 09:58PM
As long as you don't camp or spend the night, you don't need a wilderness permit.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: Day hike to Clouds Rest. Permit required?
August 20, 2013 09:58PM
No.

Old Dude
August 21, 2013 12:20AM
Answered already, but I think technically if you're total insomniacs and never have to sleep, you technically don't even need a wilderness permit. How the heck do they really know if someone just slept without a sleeping bag or tent? Some people start their hikes at 3 AM, while others get back with a flashlight past midnight.

There are very few NPS areas where one needs a permit to day hike. The one we know of is the final ascent up the Half Dome cables, which is to limit the number of people. Another one is the Fiery Furnace in Arches, where people need to watch an orientation video. They have an issue with hikers getting lost or hurt.

The only place I've hiked where routine day hiking requires a permit is Desolation Wilderness near Tahoe. There it's a no-quota, no-fee self-issued permit. You write your names on the permit, your intended destinations down, drop the top copy in a box, and attach the permit to the group leader's pack or person. I'm not exactly sure what's the point, but they've done it this way for years. I think I've filled it out five times, and the form changed at least once.
August 21, 2013 03:26AM
y_p_w

The only place I've hiked where routine day hiking requires a permit is Desolation Wilderness near Tahoe. There it's a no-quota, no-fee self-issued permit. You write your names on the permit, your intended destinations down, drop the top copy in a box, and attach the permit to the group leader's pack or person. I'm not exactly sure what's the point, but they've done it this way for years. I think I've filled it out five times, and the form changed at least once.
It you go missing, they have an idea of where to start looking.
August 21, 2013 08:00AM
The Other Tom
y_p_w

It you go missing, they have an idea of where to start looking.

I remember one trailhead at Yellowstone with an optional trailhead register. It wasn't a permit per se, but I suppose that was their attempt to set up a way to find lost hikers.
August 21, 2013 03:52PM
y_p_w
I remember one trailhead at Yellowstone with an optional trailhead register. It wasn't a permit per se, but I suppose that was their attempt to set up a way to find lost hikers.

Joshua Tree uses self-registration at trailheads. But it's only for backpacking.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login