All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Campground question for next year..
September 25, 2013 04:16PM
Hi all..

I was wondering if we were going to stay in Yosemite (or try at least) in the spring with a 24' RV, what are the better campgrounds that can accomodate that size RV (which is likely any RV capable campground I'd guess) and which might be less crowded (again, might).. My wife and I have never stayed in Yosemite but I've driven through it a few times many years ago and looking for advice on good RV'able CG's -- I'm not looking for hookups or anything like that since I'm assuming there are likely none anyway.

I gather reservations can't be made until mid November for most CG's anyway.. Just trying to plan things out.. Thanks!

Also, does anyone know if Upper Pines CG (open all year) would have snow in late November or is it too low at 4000ft?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2013 04:16PM by rickf.
Re: Campground question for next year..
September 25, 2013 04:57PM
Is your RV a motor home or travel trailer? (it makes a difference as far as what sites you can fit in). In general, Lower Pines is a less crowded campground. What month are you thinking about? As far as Nov., snow unlikely, but possible.
September 25, 2013 05:04PM
Thanks for the reply.. This would be in a class-C motor home -- 24ft-- nice-n-small without any slideouts or anything.. winking smiley

As for when, I'm thinking mid April next year and possibly this coming November for Thanksgiving.. I think upper pines may be one of the only ones that is open all year and takes RV's.. For April I guess a few more CG's are likely to be open by then.. Perhaps for April we'll try for lower-pines.. Thanks!!
September 25, 2013 05:47PM
rickf
Thanks for the reply.. This would be in a class-C motor home -- 24ft-- nice-n-small without any slideouts or anything.. winking smiley

As for when, I'm thinking mid April next year and possibly this coming November for Thanksgiving.. I think upper pines may be one of the only ones that is open all year and takes RV's.. For April I guess a few more CG's are likely to be open by then.. Perhaps for April we'll try for lower-pines.. Thanks!!

A 24ft. m/h is a pretty easy fit for most campsites in Lower Pines and Upper Pines. If you are thinking Thanksgiving this year you may want to make a reservation right away as most of the Upper Pines campground is already booked for the 4 nights. Lower Pines should be open in April and your 24 ft. m/h should be no problem as long as you make reservations on the first day that the system allows you to do so. P/M me when you are getting close to making your Lower Pines reservations and I'll give you some primo campsite numbers to try for.
avatar Re: Campground question for next year..
September 25, 2013 07:08PM
In November and in April, within Yosemite National Park (but outside Yosemite Valley), both the Wawona Campground and the Hodgdon Meadow Campground will be open too.

September 25, 2013 07:52PM
I know it's not IN Yosemite, but don't forget the Mariposa Fairgrounds. $30/night including hookups and showers. No snow. Open all year. Never full.
Also, there is Indian Flats Campgrounds about 20 or so minutes outside the park. $37/night with hookups.
September 25, 2013 11:10PM
Thanks guys.. I'll probably stick with upper pines for November -- I like the looks better than the mariposa fairgrounds.. I'll check out the others too!
September 26, 2013 10:49AM
One more stupid question -- IF I've got an Annual Pass (like this one), is that usable to get a discount on the campground fees or not really? When placing the order on their website I see the following near the bottom :

You cannot use the America the Beautiful Annual Pass or any other pass for a discount.

Is this correct or wrong? I gather I could still use it to get discounted admission to the park -- is that the only thing? Unfortunately my pass expired and I need to get another one and am pondering whether to do it or not.
September 26, 2013 12:10PM
In regards to Yosemite National Park, the America the Beautiful Pass only entitles the cardholder (and their guest) free admission into the park. No discounts on campsites.

If you're going to visit Yosemite National Park at least twice in a 12-month span, you might want to consider just getting a Yosemite Pass for $40 when you enter the park.

It's good for unlimited entries into Yosemite National Park (it's not good for any other National Park). But you break-even with only two visits and then it's no cost for any additional visit.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm

September 26, 2013 12:12PM
Thanks!! Perfect answer!
September 26, 2013 12:20PM
Got my reservation in upper pines for T-day..!! Thanks all!!
September 26, 2013 12:46PM
rickf
One more stupid question -- IF I've got an Annual Pass (like this one), is that usable to get a discount on the campground fees or not really? When placing the order on their website I see the following near the bottom :

You cannot use the America the Beautiful Annual Pass or any other pass for a discount.

Is this correct or wrong? I gather I could still use it to get discounted admission to the park -- is that the only thing? Unfortunately my pass expired and I need to get another one and am pondering whether to do it or not.

If you are 62 or older you can get the Senior Pass which is a lifetime pass for $10 (one-time fee). It gets you into the National Parks for free and there is a 50% discount on National Park camping fees. Thus Yosemite Valley campgrounds would be $10/night. One of the few perks of getting old...
September 26, 2013 06:51PM

Thus Yosemite Valley campgrounds would be $10/night. One of the few perks of getting old...

I'd rather be 40 and pay twice as much.

One other perk; if you forget your pass or lose it it only costs $10 to be made whole.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2013 06:52PM by mrcondron.
September 27, 2013 11:13AM
mrcondron

thumbs up
September 27, 2013 04:25PM
eeek
mrcondron

thumbs up

Me too!
September 27, 2013 06:17PM
mtn man
eeek
mrcondron

thumbs up

Me too!

Make that three of us. smiling smiley
September 26, 2013 06:22PM
rickf

It's not completely factual. The Annual pass does not get you any discounts on camping. The Senior Pass and the Access Pass do. When you turn 62 you can get the Senior Pass for $10 and it's good for life.

Your expired pass would make a great bookmark. That's about all it's good for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2013 06:24PM by Dave.
September 27, 2013 11:43PM
Dave
rickf

It's not completely factual. The Annual pass does not get you any discounts on camping. The Senior Pass and the Access Pass do. When you turn 62 you can get the Senior Pass for $10 and it's good for life.

Your expired pass would make a great bookmark. That's about all it's good for.

If there's someone in your party who has one of those passes, that's enough for the discount.

It doesn't apply towards entire groups for individual amenities like tours, but it does apply towards entrance for an entire group in the same private car. My mom has a senior pass and got the discount on a cave tour. I didn't. However, we got into several national parks on her pass. When we were in Zion (doesn't have vehicle admission in the summer because almost everyone has to enter by shuttle. However, someone with a pass is usually allowed a certain amount of people on the same pass. We got in at the same time and asked what I could do for readmission since I wanted to go up Angels Landing by myself the next morning. They wrote up a 7 day reentry pass for me. I'm not sure if this applies to other national parks unless arriving on foot or bicycle.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login