Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Full

Advanced

Fire impact: Red Peak Pass loop Aug 8?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Fire impact: Red Peak Pass loop Aug 8?
July 27, 2018 07:45PM
Hello to All,

I've been lurking here for the last 2 months, checking updates on conditions along the trail and other useful tips. smiling smiley

Of course now the fire is a big concern and specifically air quality. I don't have any experience to judge if I should cancel the trip (permit for Aug 8th) or not. Obviously the fire will still burn in 10 days but hopefully it will smaller by then. How long does it take before the air is clear and you can actually enjoy the view? Any advice, estimates, opinions etc. are appreciated.

Thank you all!
Re: Fire impact: Red Peak Pass loop Aug 8?
July 28, 2018 06:01AM
Depends on how the wind blows and if roads are open, so no one will have any idea. That fire isn't going out any time soon. Where are you coming from? I would start planning contingency trips further south (SEKI).
Re: Fire impact: Red Peak Pass loop Aug 8?
July 28, 2018 11:44AM
Hi Chulavista,

I'm coming from San Diego. I started planning an alternative trip (to Wallowa, Oregon) that was also on my list of "to do" trips. Still, I'm frustrated since I got lucky to get the permit but now I cannot use it.
I'm going to cancel the permit reservation and book tickets to Oregon. Hopefully fires will not hunt me there! winking smiley

Thanks a lot for you input. I needed confirmation to feel better about cancelling the trip and your answer helped a lot!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login