Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Guesses on odds/timing of names reverting back?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Guesses on odds/timing of names reverting back?
April 19, 2019 07:49AM
Twenty+ years ago I wanted to have my wedding at the Ahwahnee, but decided against it for practical reasons. But since then I've always thought it would be fun to throw an anniversary party there. But I don't want to have a party at the Grand Majestic, nor invite folks to pizza at Half Dome Village. The old names have a special meaning for me. So.....

Do folks think the issue will be resolved such that we'll get the old names back? What about timing? Could this drag on another five or ten years?
avatar Re: Guesses on odds/timing of names reverting back?
April 19, 2019 08:29AM
recycling1991
Do folks think the issue will be resolved such that we'll get the old names back?
No. Neither party has reason to cave in.

- Billy Joel
April 19, 2019 09:02AM
Actually, they both do. But they both disagree on what they have to gain and lose.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
My hunch is that the old names will come back, but not tomorrow. A trial, if it happens, won't begin until at least late 2019.

When all is said and done, this is a commercial dispute. DNC doesn't care about the TM registrations per se, it's peeved about losing the concession at Yosemite and wants to squeeze as much from the situation as possible, so it's saying "someone needs to pay us $61 million for the names". DNC doesn't really have anything to lose at trial, other than losing the trial itself, which would leave it a few million out of pocket in legal fees. (Presumably DNC, which still has concessions at other parks, figures the risk of suing NPS doesn't significantly reduce the likelihood of retaining those other concessions when they come up for renewal.) the So unless DNC thinks it's going to lose and therefore can gain more by settling, DNC will be happy to go to trial. On the other hand, while NPS has a viable work-around - the new names - cash-strapped NPS runs the risk of a court finding that it owes that much money to DNC (but then the TM registrations on the names revert back to NPS). So in that sense NPS has a greater incentive to settle...unless its convinced that its case is a slam-dunk.

Fact discovery is set to close later this week, with discovery of experts set to close in September. The sides should have a better idea at that point what their odds are. Don't count on a settlement before then.
April 21, 2019 07:05PM
Thank you for the feedback, although conflicting. I sure hope the old names come back.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login