Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: 6192' Elev sign @ Crane Flat?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

6192' Elev sign @ Crane Flat?
September 02, 2019 05:51PM
I've always wondered -- and even searched to learn -- why there is a sign on BOFR just west of Crane Flat marking 6192' of elevation. The 1000' multiple signs are common, as are signs for populated towns indicating actual elevation (e.g. Buck Meadows, Groveland...). Is the sign location the actual site of Crane Flat - or what the average elevation or elevation at the center of that "location" is? There are numerous other named places in the park (e.g. Porcupine Flat) which roads pass through, but I've seen no other similar elevation sign with a non-1k' multiple. Was Crane Flat a (more) populated place at one time, a historically notable location, or is there some other reason -- other than "that's the way it turned out" to explain this?

Certainly not a pressing item of great import, but I figure that if anyone knows, s/he will likely be here.
September 02, 2019 08:23PM
Isn't that at the high point of Big Oak Flat Road, between Groveland and Yosemite Valley? I've always thought that was the elevation of the "pass" the road goes over.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
September 02, 2019 08:42PM
Yes, that was always my guess as well.
September 03, 2019 09:38AM
That makes sense.
avatar Re: 6192' Elev sign @ Crane Flat?
September 03, 2019 01:26PM
It's just saying you are at Crane Flat.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login