Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Trail condition to Upper Yosemite Falls and Eagle Peak

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Trail condition to Upper Yosemite Falls and Eagle Peak
January 12, 2014 01:50PM
Hi everyone,

I am planning a 2-night backpacking trip at next weekend (Martin Luther King day). I am thinking to hike to Upper Yosemite Falls on Saturday afternoon and camp there. On Sunday, hike to Eagle Peak and camp there. On Monday hike all the way down to valley and drive back to LA. From what I have read, this seems to be doable. The only thing I am not sure is the current condition. Can someone who has been there recently tell me:

1. I know there is not much snow fall this year. So is snowshoe needed? Is microspike needed?

2. Originally I plan to melt snow on the way for two nights. If there is no snow, are there any water sources?

Thank you so much!

Yang
January 12, 2014 07:55PM
Was in Yosemite January 1-3, went up the JMT/Mist/Panorama trails to Glacier Point and down the 4 mile. So not the Yosemite Falls trail and a couple of weeks ago, but probably similar conditions nonetheless.

Very little snow, very little. Pretty much have to get all the way up to the rim for there to be any snow at all.
So I doubt you will have any use for snow shoes. I found the micro spikes very useful though as the trails are icy and slippery in places.

There was enough snow to melt for water. Tasted bad though, yuck. Not sure if the bad taste was because the snow has now been sitting around for a few weeks but I boiled the heck out of it to be safe.
Considered getting water out of Illilloutte Creek as it was running. However getting water from a spot above a waterfall when the waters edge is icy and slippery just seemed like a bad idea. So I melted, see above.
January 12, 2014 08:02PM
Thanks Katy. This is the exact information I am looking for.
avatar Re: Trail condition to Upper Yosemite Falls and Eagle Peak
January 13, 2014 05:40PM
KatyAnderson
There was enough snow to melt for water. Tasted bad though, yuck. Not sure if the bad taste was because the snow has now been sitting around for a few weeks but I boiled the heck out of it to be safe.

Was it a burnt taste? Snow accumulates a lot of pollens, debris, and other stuff that can burn - I generously "prime" snow-melting containers w/ liquid water to avoid a burnt taste, and w/ a thin snow cover accumulating lots of such debris I can easily believe it'd be bad.
January 13, 2014 08:17PM
Thanks tilley, I will try that next time.
Posted some pictures from the trip over in the backpacking forum. Shows the dry conditions, very dry.
January 15, 2014 02:59PM
We recommend visiting the NPS website for current conditions as they can change quickly. http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
January 15, 2014 04:26PM
Pretty sure they don't update trail conditions in the winter... well... not typically.
But yes, you should be looking at the webcams to determine a bit of condition...
and keep track of storms that fly thru... it only takes 1 storm to dump 5+ FEET of snow.

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 15, 2014 09:47PM
I was looking at the web cam today. But not sure if the upper falls are running. I think it does but seems to be pretty small.

I also called ranger station, the ranger indicated that I could filter the water on the top. Not sure if this is true.
January 16, 2014 12:58AM
Regardless of what the cam looks like you can always
get water out of Yose Creek. Period. Year round.
Without question now. Eagle Peak Mdws has some ponds...
We've always filtered from thereā€¦ but I would not HAVE to
get water there now. There is prob plenty of snow fields
to get water from... but I'd just get some from Yose Creek.
Something like that. Maybe just camp close to Creek n then
dayhike Yose Pt and Eagle Peak.
Have fun

January 16, 2014 01:05AM
Thanks chick-on. I will do as you said. I cannot wait to go there.
January 16, 2014 06:18PM
Any Snow Creek trail updates?
January 17, 2014 07:45AM
DB,
Confused. I'll mention a few things and you can go from there.
1) 4 Mile Trail has been open for what, a couple of weeks now
b) Snow Creek Trail is south facing
3) Even in a normal snow year it's common to hike up both Snow Creek & Yosemite Falls to the rim w/o snowshoes

Once you hit the rim it can be quite a different animal. The snow stays up there. In mid December one year wifie
and I hiked up Snow Creek ... leaving snowshoes in the car... b/c it "looked pretty clear I don't think we will need them"
once we hit the rim.. zoink... we camped at x6700 ... once off the trail we were post-holing up to the knee
we had fun... but it woulda been a wee bit more fun with the snowshoes.
Another time ... well... nevermind... it takes a ridiculous amount of snow to require anything on Snow Creek..
and even then people normally just hike up in boots and gaiters and spikies .
This year, now... sheesh... it's getting ridiculous.
See Andrews comments and mine w/r to spending Christmas in the Park and Katys over New Years.
I've yet to bring snowshoes on any trip yet...

In conclusion... I wouldn't take snowshoes unless going to TM.

Have fun (YMMV)

January 23, 2014 10:38PM
Thanks everyone!

I'd like to provide an update of the condition between Jan 18-20, 2014 after we just finished the hike. Expectedly it was same as everyone mentioned.

The weather was extreme mild. The day time temperature got as high as 80 degrees under the sun. The first night we camped at Yosemite Creek. The night temporatature was about 24 degree. There is no snow at all. Second night we camped at Eagle Peak. The night temperature was about 30 degree. The trail between Yosemite Creek and Eagle Peak were very icy. Microspikes were really useful. I cannot imagine how we could hike without them. We only got water from Yosemite Creek. There are some snow along the trail to Eagle Peak, but it was so thin and I did not feel it is a good idea to melt and drink.

Happy Hiking!
January 23, 2014 10:41PM
Thanks, I am heading up there tomorrow if work doesn't interrupt.
January 27, 2014 10:14PM
I thought I should share a photo of the top of Eagle Peak:

Enjoy!
January 27, 2014 10:22PM
When were you there? I was just there Saturday.
January 27, 2014 10:42PM
I was there a week before, 19th.
January 28, 2014 07:39AM
Kewl. Tanks guys.

You may be interested in these threads:

Is It Crazy To Hike To Eagle Peak In The Winter From Camp 4?

and this

Is There A Trail To Eagle Tower?
Lots of links there to keep you busy...

And dis one:
Top of Falls
Including Z Snow Cone in a lot of glory...

Ok, there's a bunch more... I'll stop... Crazy nutsoid conditions this year... Winter, where art though?

For fun... here's a 3D from last year, Feb. 3rd: for a all-in-one comparison..

Have fun and as da wifie sez to me when I leave... Be Safe.. and Be Careful

January 28, 2014 11:00AM
Things sure look different up there now! There is NO snow or ice until after the top of the trail. I was in shorts until the sun started going down. Thanks Chick-on for the advice. Rancheria would not have been a good idea. I didn't hit the trail until 3:30 as it was!

I did post a TR in the backpacking forum, but no one goes there. winking smiley
January 31, 2014 01:17PM
Don't feel bad... I know how you feel. Keep on hike-on. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login