Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Any Advice for a First Timer? (Clouds Rest - May 15th)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Any Advice? (Clouds Rest - May 15th)
May 05, 2014 05:44AM
I'm heading out with a group on May 15th, we had planned to hike the Pohono and Panorama trails, but when the road opened I confirmed permits for the Sunrise trailhead. Below is our plan, if you've got experience with this hike, I welcome any tips or advice.

Agenda:
Day 1: Tenaya Lake to Sunrise Lakes
Day 2: Sunrise Lakes, over clouds rest, camp along sunrise creek
Day 3: Out to the valley

Questions:
With the YARTS and Hiker's shuttle not yet open, are there any other options? Does anyone know of a private shuttle we can hire to take us up to the trailhead?
If you've got experience with this section let me know what you would change, modify, do differently.
If anyone has been or is going to this section soon, please let us know trail conditions and how much snow is on the ground.

Thanks in advance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2014 01:10PM by scottkidder.
avatar Re: Any Advice for a First Timer? (Clouds Rest - May 15th)
May 05, 2014 10:36AM
Check out the old thread here . Get about half to 3/4's of the way through the thread to see pictures of what you will be dealing with at the stream crossing at the Tenaya Lake outlet.

Admittedly, this thread was from a big snow year, but you are early in the season and will definitely have some probably waist deep, very cold water to wade through to start your hike. It will keep you motivated to keep moving up the climb that follows so that you can get some feeling back in your legs as you warm up.

The climb itself holds snow as it is north facing and sheltered by trees. It is a farily steep climb, and I would expect that you would find icy snow on the trail up. Depending on the amount of snow that might be lingering in the trees, you may have trouble following it at times.I would bring micro-spikes or something similar and a very good map and/or GPS. Once you get to the top it should be clear sailing, assuming no significant new weather comes in between now and then.
May 05, 2014 10:41AM
Last Friday there was still ice on Tenaya Lake. The crossing will be very cold.
May 05, 2014 12:35PM
Wow! That was a great thread, thanks!

It looks like those guys in the video made it so I guess we'll give it a shot. Should be a heck of an adventure - LOL!

Thanks again!
May 06, 2014 07:43AM
I remember this portion of the trail being a bit of a hard climb. Will be much different climbing with a pack on, if you're not used to it. Take your time. It's a good place to stop and enjoy the views to the North. They get better as you climb higher.
May 06, 2014 11:49AM
Whoa! That is a sweet online topo map you linked! Thanks for that!
May 06, 2014 03:05PM
Be sure to post about your experiences after your trip. Plenty of people will be interested in the trail conditions.
May 06, 2014 05:56PM
scottkidder
Whoa! That is a sweet online topo map you linked! Thanks for that!

There's a link to that site at the bottom of every page on this site.
May 06, 2014 03:12PM
It looks like QITNL may have some info for you on the trail...per his pictures here it looks like at least Upper Sunrise Lake is still iced over and surrounded by snow. I am guessing that you will have plenty of snow on the trail up to the Sunrise Lakes junction.
May 07, 2014 05:26AM
Those pictures were great, thanks!

I will report back and I'll plan to get some pictures of the creek crossing and other spots of interest.

Thanks again.
Trip Report
May 18, 2014 01:59PM
We started on Thursday, May 15 from Sunrise trailhead as planned. The Tenaya Creek crossing was about thigh deep and freezing cold but we got through it fairly easily.

The trail was a little wet but overall in good condition. We cruised along easily for the first 2 miles. Then as elevation increased the snow increased and around 9,000ft the snow became very deep in spots.

Just before the (Clouds Rest / sunrise lakes) fork in the trail the trail became very difficult to follow. After several wrong turns and then encountering some deep and dangerous snow bridges we decided it was not safe to continue.

We ended up restarting from the valley camping in little Yosemite and climbing half dome.
Re: Trip Report
May 20, 2014 07:14PM
Always better to be safe rather than sorry! Have any photos to share?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login