Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waning Crescent (2% of Full)

Advanced

Wildernes Permit rules, when do they end?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Wildernes Permit rules, when do they end?
April 25, 2024 09:47PM
My buddy got a wilderness permit for the May Lake trailhead. The website asked him for an exit point so he selected "Happy Isles". I am very familiar with the park and don't need a trail map to get from May Lake to the Valley but my question is "How can this be legal?"

If you look at the map, the on-trail route goes straight through the Sunrise trailhead. If you did that you'd invalidate the permit because you exited the wilderness at not just an incidental road crossing but at a major trailhead. My understanding is this would not be allowed.

But I can think of routes that avoid the Sunrise trailhead, certainly, any cross-country (off-trail) route could do this but I doubt they issue permits assuming cross-country travel.

The usual destination from May Lake would be either Glen Aulen or Ten Lakes. If someone were to look at our permit (many times you do see rangers parked a mile up the trail, especially popular ones like Sunrise.). Would he say that going to Sunrise on a May Lake trailhead permit is "gross abuse
of the system?" I'd have to agree with him.

My buddy is totally new to Yosemite and just got whatever the website allowed. He said he selected "happy isles" pretty much at random. I think the website software was just too dumb to say "This is not right".

What are the rules about this? It seems unfair to start at one trailhead you don't really like and then walk directly to the trailhead you like and do the hike. If that is OK. Heck, we may do Lyell Canyon from May Lake, it only adds one extra day

I've always thought that walking through a trailhead ended the Wilderness Permit.
Re: Wildernes Permit rules, when do they end?
April 27, 2024 02:26PM
Passing through Yosemite Valley ends your permit. See https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildregs.htm.

Passing out of wilderness per se, e.g. by crossing Tioga Road or Glacier Point Road, does not end a permit.
May 04, 2024 09:52AM
Not sure I agree with NQTG here - if it was that easy to circumvent the trailhead quotas we'd all be one the trail to Clouds Rest & HD from Sunrise all year haha.
A ranger will tell you if you cross 120 your permit is over. I actually tried this a few years ago & got turned around.

I like the argument though - next time I'm headed for Lyell on a Murphy Creek permit!
avatar Re: Wildernes Permit rules, when do they end?
May 04, 2024 06:31PM
Sorry CNEWT, NQTG is right.

Nothing in the Wilderness Regulations, or on a permit refers to the HWY 120.
In fact the JMT actually crosses the 120 twice, and the PCT crosses it once.
Those people still have valid permits.
I'm calling your bluff on any ranger saying if you cross the 120, your permit is over.
May 04, 2024 06:33PM
Oh, BTW I've had multiple permits from Sunrise to clouds rest and HD, after all they are on the same side of the 120.
May 04, 2024 07:23PM
ChrisA,

The issue from May Lake is not whether or not you cross the 120, its whether or not you spend the first night in the proper area.
Some trailheads specify a required first night camping location (e.g., Happy Isles to Little Yosemite Valley) or that you camp before or beyond a certain point.
So its true that you cannot "start at one trailhead you don't really like and then walk directly to the trailhead you like and do the hike".
However it is legal (outside of the valley) to start at a trailhead you do not like, spend a night, and then hike to the trailhead you do like and continue.

Look at the Trailhead Map, If you start at May Lake TH, camp the first night legally past May Lake, and then head towards Sunrise and happy isles.
May 05, 2024 03:09AM
Exactly. On your first day, you have to go in the right direction, at least the distance shown on the map https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/wildernesstrailheads.pdf, and spend your first night there. Afterward, go wherever you want, as long as you don't cross Yosemite Valley, which ends your permit. If you couldn't get that Sunrise trailhead permit you wanted, but you've got the time and energy and are a fast enough hiker, you can start, say, at Porcupine Creek, and the next day make your way via Snow Creek over to the Sunrise lakes. I think the assumption of the powers-that-be is that most people do not have both the time and the energy to do the extra hiking.

Also note the the HSC loop involves crossing Tioga Road twice: on the leg between May Lake and Sunrise, and on the leg between TM (or Vogelsang of blessed memory) and Glen Aulin. Crossing 120 is a non-issue.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2024 03:14AM by Not quite The Geezer, but getting there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login